1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

La Bella 760FL or FS question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gully35, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Gully35

Gully35

Hi guys. I'm going to buy a set of La Bella flatwounds but not sure which ones to get. I have
    a fender P-bass and really like the sound of early John Paul jones or Paul McCartney. Is there much difference between FL and FS? I heard you have to adjust the neck on your bass with some of these strings and warping can occur. That worries me slightly.
    Thanks for your advice!
  2. Funkmeister79

Funkmeister79 Supporting Member

I have a set of the FLs on my Fender P. A couple weeks ago I went from the 45-95 GHS precision flats to the FLs. It was a bit of an increase in tension which took some getting used to, but now they just feel awesome. I did not have to adjust the truss rod.

Within reason, as long as it's not a major increase in tension, you will adjust to different tensions in a short period of time. I can't imagine there's a huge difference between the FL and FS sets. If it's a concern, start with the FL set.
  3. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

There's more difference in tension than tone, IME. If you prefer less go for the FL or more the FS. For some reason the FS did cause a deadspot on my neck that disappeared when swapping to the FL. I didn't need to adjust relief, but you may need to. Nothing to be worried about, it just depends on what you're strung with now.

All that said, JPJ and PMc were/are both Jazz players.
  4. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

HuGe difference. The FS is more like the FM. The FL's are lighter with better high mids.
  5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

The FS's have a little more tension and thump than the FSs. I like both sets.