1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

La Bella 760m Jamerson - intonation issues?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pier_, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Pier_

Pier_

Hi! Looking for the perfect flat for my main P, I was thinking of trying the jamerson set on the other P, but I'm afraid they can be hard to intonate, expecially the E at 110.
    I had problems before with a set of 50-105 chromes and the E saddle all the way back, but notes over 5th fret still a bit sharper.

Never had that issue with 110 rounds, but I'm afraid that a 110 flat could need more saddle run.

Someone had problems? Could you post pictures of the bridge with this set of strings?

thanks s lot!

2. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

I use them,
    Not hard to intonate, Nor the E.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I forget whether I had to intonate the E sharp or flat, but it was a tiny little adjustment when I switched from light rounds to the Jamersons on my old pbass.

4. Pier_

Pier_

thanks! guess I'll try them so. I'll let you know :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    With flats, you may have to set a witness point. Get the saddle close to where it should be and press down on the string. Flats and thicker strings don't like to bend as much, so they need a little help. Once you do that, it should be much easier to intonate.

7. Pier_

Pier_

8. matjaz123

matjaz123

The signature of "old" bas lines and sound is also not-intonated sometimes. :hyper: So no worry about :bassist:

Just one funny sample on youtube:
    "Get Back" Isolated Keyboard and Bass (The Beatles) :eek:

9. Pier_

Pier_

Well, is known that Paul dismissed the Hofner because of intonation problems, ad it can be heard on his recordings, but when he finally (10 years after the "rooftop") gave it to a luthier, he solved intonation problems, keeping it as his main bass.

My basses with flats are all perfectly tuned and intonate (the Longhorn finds his way only with Pyramid Gold strings... any other set had problems with the E, sounding as F at the 12th fret!), so I've never experienced problems, except with Daddario Chromes.

however, wednesday I ordered a set of 760m (40€ from saiten markt. Being italian, is the best price I found! On other sites it was 50 of 60...), so I can stop thinking. If it works, good. If not, at least I've tried!

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Yes.

Big strings are often impossible to properly intonate, and by "intonate," I do not mean the usual screwing around with the bridge and the 12th fret and calling it done.

I mean doing whatever you need to do to have the actual notes played be in tune.

One thing I have encountered is having the open E throw a 20-cent wow, so extreme you can hear it, and there's nothing you can do about it except mute the string and hope for the best.

I've also seen Es that do not have have an open E and the 12th fret harmonic match. I've heard a number of possible explanations for this, the most likely being some sort of winding shift.

Etc., etc., etc. :(

If people doubt me on this, they need to spend some time with a bass plugged into an oscilloscope. It's not pretty.

11. Pier_

Pier_

I know! Lots of bichords are impossible to "tune" because of harmonics not matching perfectly (I've encountred this problem around 4th/7th fret playing I and II grade toghether on D and G), but with everything.
    it's easy to hear a note a bit sharp while plucking the string, but with those D'Addario my problem was big, like that the E played at the 12th fret was more of an F a bit "flat" out of tune, all with no more run on the saddle.

What I fear is this kind of issue, not normal harmonics a bit out.

12. Linnin

Linnin

That's why I can't stand LaBellas. They're 'wonky' right out of the pack. In tune open and at the 12th fret, but off inbetween. No Thanks - No Sale.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

It's not limited to LaBellas and it's often the bass itself. I had loads of trouble with the Mexican 9050Ms on non-Posiflex necks.

That could be not one, but two, nut problems. I can't believe how people neglect to fit nuts properly. The factory doesn't even bother to try.

If the slots are not contoured to accommodate the break angle from the post (and these days they rarely are), the stiff string will just tip back and put the witness point at the back of the slot instead of the front and there is no earthly way that string will ever play in tune until you fix it.

This is especially prevalent on Fender-style heads with the sharp break angle on the E, but it can be anywhere on the nut these days. This is horrible on guitars.

In general, though, the bigger the strings and the lower the tension, the more trouble you have.

14. Pier_

Pier_

tried them yesterday... no issues!

I needed to back the saddle for E almost at it's limit, and the A saddle near. D and G didn't need much adjustment.

nice strings, but too muddy for my tastes... all the notes from E to G sounded "not clearly pitched", like in the lower notes of a B string, in wich you (when quality isn't at the top) it's hard to clearly recognize half tones on the run, or doing a chromatism.

I'm used to TI flats, and I expected just a bit more low end, but I got a bucket of mud covering the amp... got back to TIs after a couple of hours... another world.

but no issues talking about setup :)

15. MOSCOWBASS

MOSCOWBASS

I had the same problem the Jamerson flats on my 76 P bass, bridge saddle wouldn't go back far enough. I thought the strings had that "Motown" sound though.

16. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Press down on the string just in front of the bridge