1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

La Bella FL 760 FL G-String Help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TredH20, Aug 4, 2013.

1. TredH20

TredH20

Hi everyone -

Looking for some guidance. I'm new to the world of flat wounds after 20 years of playing and re-stringing basses. I just had a new fretless Stingray 4 delivered. I've swapped out the stock EB round wounds with LaBella 760FLs, long scales. Everything but the G-string. I keep running out of silk wrap with the G-string- I've tried installing two separate LaBella strings ( the original that came with the set and a separate replacement).

The first string ended up running out of wrap and slipping on the tuner and I could feel the core slip away. The second is well on its way to doing the same thing. I even kept the second G-string long on purpose just in case I had cut the first too short ( a little longer than stock EB string). But again running out of wrap before anywhere near being in tune. At this point I've cut the string down too much.

Is this an issue of scale being off? Stingrays are 34 inch scale so match up with LaBellas definition of long scale. Does the tuner position for an EBMM G-string throw the scale off? Ive got the stock EB G-string on now...but would like to get a flat wound on there...but at $10 a pop for replacements...it's an expensive learning curve!

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I had a G-string break while tuning for the first time.
    Only string that ever broke in 30 years of playing.
    I call La Bella they sent me a new set free.
    Thats quality control.

3. TredH20

TredH20

I'd be willing to think it was a QC problem too - but two separate g-strings? To me that's either user error or just the wrong string...so maybe I'm doing something wrong? I don't think I'm doing anything wrong...

4. armybass

armybass Keith Roscoe Basses and Aguilar Amplification Gold Supporting Member

I wonder if because it is a Stingray and the G string peg is so much closer to the nut than the average G string. I have strung many a Stingray with TI Flats but never LaBella 760 FL (my personal favorite set). Maybe the Stingray is not a good candidate for the LaBella's? I am just guessing ....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TredH20

TredH20

Would going with a short scale G string solve the problem?

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Stingrays (newer models) are notorious for eating G strings. The edges of the tuners are so sharp they just cut into them. Many users either put a piece of old string over the edge or something else to act as a buffer between the edge and where the string goes in and out of the post.

8. TredH20

TredH20

Hmm...that might explain why the flat is breaking so quickly after it starts to wind on the peg...but I'm still running out of silk wrap before I get to that point. I shouldn't be running out of wrap though should I? I'm cutting the string 5 inches past the tuner so I'm not cutting too much off intially.

Scale on a EBMM Stingray is 34 inches...and it's about 35 and some change from ball end to nut. La Bella's specs point to using the long scale strings for this.

I just feel like there isn't enough wrap on these g-strings...if I had an inch more, I'd be golden. The other strings are fine - plenty of wrap left over after getting the string in tune.

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

How about taking a rat tail file and burnishing the offending contact points?

10. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    You need Long Scale strings anyway you look at it for your instrument.

The G string is the same in the Long Scale and Extra Long scale sets. They are both 38" Ball to Silk (only the E and B strings are different). There should be at least 10" of Silken section. That is their new official length.

Yes some people do shave the tuning post, but then you risk the chrome flaking off.

11. TredH20

TredH20

I definitely don't want to start filing away on a new bass.

I've got some emails in with La Bella to see about a workaround, but from your info - it doesn't sound good. This hurts in two ways - 1) it's an expensive realization at about $40 thus far and 2) the E, A, and D strings sound and feel OUTSTANDING...it's a total tease!

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

This seems to be a reasonable solution. Just buy a single short scale G string.

13. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    You will have this issue with pretty much any string you use.

I will see if I can dig up a picture of how someone installed their flat using a piece of an old string as a "buffer"

14. TredH20

TredH20

Just an update:

After working with Jason from BassStringsOnline and La Bella - we were able to identify the issue being an overly sharp tuning head that was slicing into the string, causing the outer wrap of wire to slide down the core, not allowing me to tune the string before it broke. This is a known issue with EBMM and flats (and some rounds).

La Bella sent me two custom prototype "flats" as replacements for the two strings that broke. They used round wire rather than flat ribbon wire to wind on the core, and then ground/polished the round wire down flat. The result is a string that has a bit more robustness to it, especially needed up at the tuning head. I was able to string the bass with no issue - was able to tune it just fine, and it looks to be withstanding the sharp tuning peg. Sounds and feels great. Slightly different texture to the string than the other 3 flats- but feels much more flat than a half or quarter round.

Excellent customer service from La Bella and BassStringsOnline!!!

15. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I had this issue with Chromes and that Stingray G string. The string would almost get to pitch then slip. Very frustrating.

I eventually solved it by cutting the string long and taking the string over the top slot on the tuner an extra time before wrapping it down the tuner.

This was a few years ago; I told D'Addario about it and they seemed interested, but not sure if they did anything to change the strings.

16. Root 5

Root 5

Ernie Ball/MM should really address this sharp tuner edge issue. It isn't acceptable.

17. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Agreed.

If I recall, I mentioned this to the EBMM Forum, and it went nowhere. I may have even been called a communist. :)

99% of Stingray players use rounds, I'm sure, and this isn't really a problem with rounds.