1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

La Bella White Tape Wounds VS Black Tape Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fretlessthrash, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Fretlessthrash

Fretlessthrash

Is there a difference between the two of these strings? Or is it just color?

2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    The white tapes are a brighter sounding string.

Actually clear, the wrap takes on a white color. Crazy smooth, and really close to sounding like a regular roundwound without the finger noise. Not as bright as stainless rounds, more like nickel rounds.

The blacks are also quite smooth, but not as bright a sound as the whites. Still a brighter sounding string than flats.

3. e-flat

e-flat

While I can't compare the Black & White Tapewounds, i do have the White La Bella Tapewounds (Light Gauge set) on a Parts P Bass with a Chi Sonic pickup. I agree with mimaz summary above... The la bella White tapewounds retain the general qualities of a roundwound string (harmonic content and overtones, etc) but do away with the string noise and "pizz" of the string wrap interacting with the frets. The result is a great balanced tone that does away with a lot of the "hash" and treble artifacts associated with roundwounds that I used to always try to eliminate by leaning pretty heavily on my tone knob & amp EQ.

And the feel is incredible. Tension is also very nice, leaning a little bit to the looser side (if you're used to a somewhat taught Flatwound) and pretty close in tension to the DR Sunbeams I took off of this bass. (I think those were 105s...)

Also.... Before I tried them,I wondered if they'd sound good with a little overdrive, and they really do.

I'd really love to try the black tapes and plan to order some in the next month or so based on my positive experiences with the white tapes.

Hope this helps!

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    So white tapes are actually clear but over time turn white?

I like the idea of them being a bit brighter than black tapes. Might be cool to try a set of white tapes on my Rob Allen.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mimaz

Disclosures:
    The tape is actually clear, but appears as white wrapped on the silver string.

7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Highly recommend this, loved them on my fretless Boulder Creek.

8. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

I have the whites on my Boulder Creek fretted 4. Absolutely love what they did to this bass. They are a pleasure to play both acoustically and plugged in. No finger noise and beautiful even tone.

9. mimaz

Disclosures:
    My fretted Rick Turner Renaissance 5 had the black tapes when I got it, and they were just a little too dark for me. The whites seem to be just the ticket.

10. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Loving the White Tapes, but not at first.
    I tried a set of white tapes (105) on my new fretless to "save the fretboard". They were super slick and slinky. A very different feel, too slick. I switched them out to my usual rounds. A month later I pulled my old franken fretless out of the closet and threw them on that. Now I am playing the old bass all the time. I am really liking the white tapes and I was always a strict SS round guy. IMO they have a nicer fretless Mwah and color than the rounds and now I am use to the slippery feel and dig the extra speed of these things. Not to mention minimum string noise. Go figure.
    I want a black string for the new fretless so I will eager to here about the black tapes.

11. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I have never played the white tape but I have the black Labella's on one of my basses and I am really liking these strings. The sound great (kind of that dark old school thump) and they have the right tension for me. They are different from the "Jamerson set".

12. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Just got a 5 string set of light gage La Bella White tape wounds from Bass Strings On Line (Jason rocks!) and put them on my 1998 Alembic Essence. Very impressive! I have Black Tapes on my Jazz bass and the Whites are definitely brighter sounding. They sound very much like a broken in set of nickel rounds, plenty of top end and tons of low end, very well balanced and super smooth. These may be my new favorite string!

13. MaHei

MaHei

This is how I would describe the White Tapes as well. The only thing I don't like about them is that they roll under your fingers unlike any other string I have experienced.

14. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

To complicate things further, there's the copper white tapewounds. I haven't tried them, but it seems to me they'd be the ultimate acoustic bass strings.

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

I would suspect they only work with piezo pickups (?)

I have black tapewounds on my Rob Allen, regular guage. Two sets of whites are on the way, should be here next week. I intended them for my jazz basses but maybe I should put one of the sets on the MB-2 instead, it is a bit too thumpy with the black strings.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  16. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Gold Supporting Member

As others have said the white tapes are brighter sounding. They feel a lot smoother too me. Like a sheath vs. the black tapes that feel like... black tapewound strings. The Black tapes will give you more of the buzzy mwah on a fretless than the whites.

I really like the white tapewounds. Have a great feel and tension. Currently have them on my fretless and my 5 string P bass. Probably the only string I will use on fretless basses going forward.

precious precision likes this.
  17. FretNoMore

Did you go with the regular or light guage strings?

(Now that I revisited the MB-2 I feel maybe the regular guage strings may feel a bit too chunky and stiff on my jazz bass).

18. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Gold Supporting Member

Not 100% sure but usually if I have an option I go light.

19. FretNoMore

Yeah, there's light guage on the jazzes, I just may have to send some more monies to bassstringsonline ... :banghead: ... I don't really want to modify the nuts until I know I like the strings either.

20. precious precision

precious precision

I used and endorsed Roto sounds for years but I hated them so guess what I don't endorse something I hate. LaBella and almost any Flat wounds are the best for me and my Bass. They don't tear up the frets and neck and they are so deep sounding is which we're looking for right.? I do not use any form of effects, such as pedals or any of that weird sounding stuff. That's just my preference.

21. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

They work with magnetic pickups too.