Lab Series L2

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by natasmi, Jun 24, 2002.

1. natasmi

natasmi

Hi,I come here every now and then and I gotta say you all have some fine bass amps. The thing is I have used the same amp ever since I started playing, "79" Lab Series L2 100 watt bass head with a "79" fender 15 bass cab loaded w/ a black widow. Am I the only one who uses one of these? I have played through other amps but never thought I needed a new one. Great tone, and it has never had a single problem.I can't have the only one left standing, can I?
  2. mmarshall

mmarshall

I have an L4 (200 watt):) I use it as a back up amp to my two 700 watt amps. They are good amps for solid state.
  3. Blue

Blue

... if I may be bold - those Lab Series designs are Really Toneful, and readily repairable. The only hard-to find part is the power switch, which is still available, but not though Mouser.

fwiw, my Lab Series 2, with very rare original cab plus an auxiliary (homemade) cab sporting a EV-15B, plus the hard to find original manual - are all going up for sale.

While the back of the amp lists 8 ohm minmum load, according to the hard to find original manual - which I have - it will drive to 4 ohms. With a second cabinet, even the 100 watt head will "do" all but the most extreme gigs.

If anyone wants to ROCK with 2x15's, on the cheap, PM me.
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

I played through an L4 for over twenty years. It was one of the most reliable amps I have ever encountered. It was a war horse. Tough as nails. Yeah, fixing the power switch was a bear, and I had to have the solder joints redone a couple of times, but I loved that thing. I just picked up a Lab Series guitar combo not long ago for my rehearsal space (great Marshall-like tone!). Unfortunately, the L4 finally gave up the ghost and burst into flames a couple of years ago.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doug Eib

Doug Eib Guest

I am using an L4 and was thinking about replacing the speakers. Do you know what came stock in the L4 cabinet. It seems like they must be 16 ohm wired for 8 ohms for the whole cabinet.
  7. jgsbass

jgsbass

I had a Lab Series combo w/ a 15" speaker. Other than the back of the speaker cabinet getting loose and starting to buzz, the amp served me well for a number of years of hard gigging.
  8. K-Frog

K-Frog

I need a power switch. Who can give up a source?
    I also need 1 knob. Can anyone help there also?

thanks, K
  9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

Now I need a power switch! Who knows whom still makes them?
  10. Esa

Esa

Old thread bumped up, but I am interested if this comment by Blue is correct:
    I wired my cab like this (2 x 8 ohm speakers):

[​IMG]

Picture from: http://www.dallasguitarrepair.com/news.html

Is it safe for L2?
  11. thepope2

thepope2

I'm Sorry To bump a really old thread, but I recently accuired a Lab series L2, an would love to get a manual.

As is googled it for quite some time the only referance i could find was the post by Blue.

Is there a PDF or a scan or someting available?

Kind Regards
    Jan

The Netherlands

(my english is a bit rusty, my apologies)
  12. MPU

MPU

I have a scan of the schematics.
    Marko
  13. thepope2

thepope2

MPU, could you please PM me,

The schematics would be a Great addition to fix this amp up to it's original state!

Cheers
    JAn
  14. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

The L2 is a great little solid state amp. Perfect for clean tones, and works superbly with a Gibson RD Artist (both Gibson/Moog creations of the late 70s)
  15. PhR

PhR

Does this mean you can use a 4 ohm cab too? Have you (or anyone) tried it.
  16. PhR

PhR

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

A late 1977 (or early '78) L2, got it recently from someone who contributed to this thread...;)

After a little cleaning it smokes! Not literally of course. Plenty of power and a great sound. The overdriven sound is great too. These are still cheap amps, get them while you can!

The cab is an old Hartke XL series with and EV 15" speaker.