LaBella 760 flats question - variations

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mike Vee, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Hello.

I am looking to string up my AVRI 62' P with some LaBellas. Was intent on going with the 760M (Jamerson Set) but due to stories of ruined necks and being hard to play, I have been considering a lighter set of LaBellas.

Here are the listed tensions:

760FX = extra-light
    760FL = light
    760FS = standard
    760FM = medium
    0760M = the 'Jamerson' set

Now, on their website the 760M is NOT in the same section as all of the other strings. So it makes me wonder if they are actually the same, just lighter gauge?? They all say stainless steel.

I called LaBella, asked them if they were all the same just different thickness...and the cool old guy immediately cut me off - "NO, if you want the Jamerson set you NEED the Jamerson set...there is no substitution."

Is this true? Should I just go with the big ones? I do NOT have big hands, in fact, probably small/girly compared to most and I do not want to box my neck.

Thanks for the help.

p.s. I notice a LOT of people love the FLs.
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have used them all except the lights go with the mediums I really don't hear any difference my P bass with 760FM sound just as fat as my Jamerson set and Jamerson's won't kill your neck but you would probably need a setup for the tension.
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    I play 0760M on my P bass. I do not have big hands. You can set the action low and play with feather touch or you can have higher action and dig in.

There is no sub for the 1954 originals that is a true statement.

They are wound different from the other flats hence not exactly the same.
  4. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

^ OK thanks dude, you made my decision...seems to go with what the Labella guy said. On their website, they are the only flats in the one category with the rest being round (Deep Talking Bass) while all the other flats are in a different category (Flat Wound.)

I want them setup SUPER LOW, yes :)

So excited. I have a setup scheduled this week.

mjac28 - thanks also.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    They have many variety of "Deep Talkin Bass" strings...

Deep Talkin' Flats
    Deep Talkin' Rounds
    Deep Talkin' Quarter Rounds

I guess thats why it's like that.
  7. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

right, but the Jamersons are NOT listed with the other flats.
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    [DEL]They are not "Deep Talkin' Flats" they are "1954 Originals"[/DEL]

I see what you are saying now... I'll mention it to them...
  9. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Gold Supporting Member

I have used the FM and Jamerson sets and found the tension extreemly high for my tastes. To me, the FL's are the highest tension I would recommend. But I assume others have set up their basses to make the heavier gauge strings work. I have not been so fortunate.
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I find the Jamersons much too heavy feeling. I use the 760FL versions in various scale lengths, but always in light gauge .043-.104.
  11. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I have a set of the 760FS on my 57 AVRI. They sound great.

I have tried most of the La Bella sets, and have settled on the 760FS. The G amd D on the FL set just felt a little too light.
  12. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I have the 760FS on one of my basses. They're my favorite sounding string I've tried, but I don't even play this bass anymore because of the high tension. Too much fatigue for the long sets. Really wish I went for the 760FL's or FX's instead.
  13. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Gold Supporting Member

I know every one has their own desired feel and tension can can be a very subjective issue from player to player but I find the 760FL's to be the perfect string and not really "light" at all. They just feel like a regular set of medium tension strings to me. They are not like TI's at all. I have never tried the XL's. The bass I traded for that had the Jamersons had the neck literally bowing to the point I though the neck was surely beyond repair but fortunately it was able to be adjusted back to normal after a considerable time with regular gauge strings. That said it was a 75 RI Jazz with an a neck. So a more substantial type neck might stand up to the tension better.
  14. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I love the 760FL's....tried the 760FM set for a while and liked the tone but they were a little too heavy.....the FL's are perfect.
  15. scatman

scatman

Took my 62 P Reissue to a repairman. He said the Jamerson sets wrecked my neck beyond repair. He also said that the "new '62's" do not have the strong necks like the vintage ones, and that the wood from old necks had a different type of grain.

Anyway, however, he did make my instrument playable again, by adjusting the truss rod and lowering the action. Sounds much better and the neck looks straighter, with better intonation. How long will it hold up (with jamerson sets) will be the question!

I called a rep at Warmoth and asked about "reissue necks" v. "vintage necks". He had a different opinion; that "they made bad necks back then, too!" Very interesting set of views about quality of bass necks! At any rate, I will continue to play my 62 Reissue the way it's been repaired. If the neck curves too soon, I will either come down on the strings or give Warmoth a look. But play on, for now!
  16. El Barbero

El Barbero

Colour me confused. Neck "ruined beyond repair" but made playable after setting up. Which bit is true?
  17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The neck was clearly not "beyond repair", or it could not have been made playable again.

And there's no such thing as a "trust rod". He may however have adjusted the truss rod, which evidently corrected the neck problem. That means it was not beyond repair.
  18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

armybass originally convinced me to try the FLs and I have never gone back. Thanks man!

But it is not because of tension, but tone. I think the tone from the FLs is better than the FM or FS. My other basses are strung with chrome mediums and Fender mediums. But for LaBella it is FLs.

Caveat: I have never tried the Jamerson's. And IMHO, YMMV, dealer may sell for less.
  19. scatman

scatman

Thanks for the spelling correction, Mr. Wazzu! :)

The question is now how long will it hold up before I would need another adjustment.
  20. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    I have had teh FLs, and was really happy with them. I started wondering what I was missing, though, and have been on a tone quest for the last year and a half. Lately, I've been considering going back to LaBellas, and am seriously considering the Jamerson set...
  21. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    To revisit this one... I did get the Jamerson set, and they require a very careful setup. Not so much because they need so much tension, but because there is so much information in the strings that having something out of position will cause an overemphasis of a certain part of the note (fundamental, an harmonic, fret noise, etc.) rather than a good, balanced tone. However, if you set them up correctly, they are (almost) a joy to play and have more tone than any string I've ever used!

There is a reason they are not listed with the other 760 series strings... they aren't built the same, and they don't sound the same. Similar, yes, but not especially so, unless the tone is rolled way off on your bass.

Yes, they are high tension, but any modern (or reproduction) neck, and most vintage necks for that matter, can handle it with no trouble. I spoke with the luthiers at Elderly Instruments when I purchased the strings (sorry Jason, they were on sale, and the personal service was pretty mandatory this time), and they assured me that while it was theoretically possible to "ruin" a neck with these strings, they'd never seen one come in that was irreparably bent due to using Jamersons. That eased my mind, as I have a very playable 1.625" neck, and I really didn't want to ruin it just to try some strings. Anyway, yes, they are high tension. That doesn't make them unplayable, but you may have to think about your technique temporarily and/or develop some muscle in your fretting hand, and you get used to the higher tension pretty quickly - or at least, I did. It doesn't take much of a mute to get these to seriously thump, but if you remove the mute and speed your fretting hand, they will really sing. This is the first string I've ever had that I could play with no EQ at all, and they sound better with a flat amp than most strings do with a ton of EQ on them.

I flat (pun intended) love these strings! Try them, you won't regret it.