LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass 760RL Roundwounds - Sounds like??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bobalu, Oct 21, 2012.

1. bobalu

bobalu

I've been searching for reviews and opinions on the LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass roundwounds and can't really find any comments. I can only find comments on their flatwounds (obviously far more popular).

Anyone here use the roundwound version? The construction seems different from conventional SS roundwounds with a thinner core wire and multiple wraps. So I'm guessing they're more flexible then your average hex core. I'm really wondering what kind of sound they have though. I found one (1!) review that said they were smooth for a SS string and that they sounded close to the flatwound version.

I've always been a nickel plated string player and want to try SS, so I have no experience with the steel.

Thanks!
  2. bobalu

bobalu

No one? Really??
  3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

I use them on a jazz. To me they are kind of a cross between sadowsky, dr lorider, and zon strings if that makes sense. They age very well, are even sounding across all the strings, and have good mid punch, plenty highs, and decent (not boomy) lows. The E is tapered. Great growl. I think they are probably my top roundwound. They sound nothing like a flat. I dont notice tension that much so cant comment on that. I spose theyre medium tension. Ive got about 5 sets that i rotate through the denatured alcohol soak. They last a looong time.
  4. bobalu

bobalu

Thanks Luckydog, good info.

As far as SS strings go, do you find the LaBellas smooth or rough? (Rotos being rough and DR High beams being smooth).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I've tried them on a P for a nice rock tone love them I only use Labella strings
  7. Luckydog

I'd say theyre much smoother than rotos and somewhat smoother than sadowsky black label ss. Maybe just a teeny bit rougher than dr loriders and definitely smoother than hi beams.
  8. Luckydog

Woops, i totally misread your question. I incorrectly read HRS, not DTB. Sorry. My comments relate to the HRS. :rolleyes:
  9. bassboysam

bassboysam

I was going to say that your description fit the HRS more so than the DTRs.

I played the DTRs for a while. very good quality SS string. but is quite warm sounding and not overly aggressive or growly. more laid back than any SS strings i have ever tried. doesnt sound like a nickel string though. they are a good compromise between SS and Nickel. i imagine they would be great in a blues setting. not great for rock though.
  10. bassguy1960

bassguy1960

I just put the LaBella Deep Talkin Quarter Rounds on my '78 Jazz and I'm lovin them... nice tone, easy on the fingers, very little string noise... highly recommended.

I also have a set of GHS Pressure Wounds that i'll be trying on my other bass this weekend, but they look and feel real nice in the packaging... The pressure wound is flatter than a round wound but not as flat as the quarter or flat wounds...

we'll see how they sound.

Don
  11. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Lover Gold Supporting Member

I use the LaBella 760FL's on my P Bass and Ric. They sound like Motown goodness to me. I just love the tone and feel of the 760FL's. I have tried the heavier gauges and they are way too tight for me. The FL's are perfect.
  12. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

I really like the 760FL's, but unfortunately cannot comment on 760RL.

I use Pressurewounds on my P-bass. I can't get enough of them. I can get a nice aggressive sound when I dig in. Roll the tone back, play a little lighter, and you've got some nice motown/reggae tones.
  13. Duckwater

Duckwater

Their steel rounds are my favorite steel roundwounds of all time, they sound sort of like worn in Roto 66s but with a gigantic lower-midrange growl and a bit of thump. They aren't very noisy strings, and IMO they sound better as they age if you keep them clean. Also you can make custom sets for balanced tension and different tunings on bassstringsonline.com. The only downfall is their price, but mine haven't lost much brightness in 3 months of heavy use(4+ hours a day).
  14. cellkirk74

cellkirk74

I do play the 760RM on a P Bass and think they are great strings. Just enough zing and a good bottom end. For my personal taste the G string could be a little thicker, but they sound perfectly even with a richer, darker tone than lets say the LaBella Slappers.

I recommend them.
  15. Tense Zombie

Tense Zombie

Sorry to be slow on the draw in replying. Yes, Deep talkin rounds are great. I agree with the observation that they sound like a cross between dead Rotosounds and the deep talkin flats, but in the best possible way; probably my favorite round for an overly bright bass.