1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Labella DT 460Ls vs TI Jazz Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Whit Townsend, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

Am torn between ordering one of these sets for my Newark St Guild Starfire.
    I've have the Labellas on an SX P/J for about 18 months and I like them a lot. Love the deep thump and I'm still geting plenty of top end out of them by dialing in a bit of the J pickup. The tension and feel are perfect for me. Light Ga 43-104.
    But Starfire players rave about TIs, the 43-106 set.
    I'm hoping I make the right choice so I can leave em on for a long time.
    460FLs are a known quantity to me, but on a reg scale bass. The Starfire is a short scale. I figure the tension will be less than on the P/J but hopefully not too floppy.
    They say TIs are low tension. But the gauge I'm looking at is pretty close to the Labellas. A slightly bigger low E. Lots of Starfire players really like em.

For those who don't know, my Starfire has one pretty authentic BiSonic style pickup kinda in the middle position, or a bit more towards the bridge than the neck. With the stock rounds, it's very bright. But it can be tamed with the tone control. Lots of variation available by where you pluck, use pick or no, etc. Just not sure if that will be enough to get a little treble attack when I need it with the Labellas. I can use a pick but most of the time I'm a finger player.

I guess I'm just looking for comparisons between these by those who have played both. Tension on a short scale between the 2 and tone.