Labella Flats Users Questions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shawshank72, Dec 28, 2013.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Im looking to take the plunge and buy a set of these. I owned a set many years ago but dont remember much but they were stiff.
    Im a pick player and am wondering how these are out of the box?
    Do they take awhile to get the labella sound or are they good to go out of the packaging?
    I know the FL sets get a lot of love on here but dont care for the thin D and G
    Was thinking of making a custom set of 49/65/82/96 or 49/65/85/104 as their sets have strange gauges.
  2. u84six

u84six Supporting Member

I used Labella flats for years, then discovered other brands like Sadowsky, TI, and Pyramid, and never looked back.
  3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    They take a couple weeks or so to settle in, but will stay that way for decades after that. They take very well to a pick, especially if you use a palm or foam mute. I wouldn't worry about the "thin" D and G strings. They are quite durable, and the balanced tension is wonderful. I have had the M (Jamerson) set as well, but the FLs are close enough in sound, and very easy to play
  4. shawshank72

What are the pyramids like?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet

I use Labellas and I like 'em. They sound great out of the pack and seem to keep getting better with age. I've had a set on my jazz for a few months and it sounds great.

I've never used TI, Pyramid, etc., but I'm sure they're good as well.
  7. f.c.geil

Media:
    Sadowsky have much more upper mid content than the others, so they sound very different, but in a good way if you don't like the traditional flat sound. TIs sound extremely bright at first, but settle in to a very mellow thump (Beach Boys bass). Pyramids sound dead from day one, and never get better. No "tone," per se, just thud.

IME, IMHO, YMMV, TAYOR, etc.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

labellas sound great with a pick, I found I use one more than I ever did with roundwounds. Like all strings they will settle in after some playing time.
  9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The LaBellas to me are the "standard". They are consistent, and the sound never gets in the way. I have basses strung with LaBellas (P and mini-P) TIs (J, Fury and Hofner) and Chromes (Hagstrom). IMO - the TI's and Chromes have a "sound", the LaBellas are just there right in the middle. Can't go wrong.
  10. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

I tried 2 different gauges and didn't feel they worked too well for me. To my ears they had a lot of low end thud/attack but not much ringing tone or sustain, which is why i prefer 40-100 Chromes or TIs for my purposes. I'd say if you want a pronounced attack from a pick in, say, a Carol Kaye vein, I'd definitely recommend them.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, pronounced pick attack with LaBellas. Plus I think of them as mid-scooped, but my standards are Chromes and old Fender flats so that's where I'm coming from.
  12. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

They're not terribly stiff compared to some other flats. I've got LaBellas on my P, Roto 77s on my Ric, and Chromes on my Aria fretless. The LaBellas are the least stiff of the bunch.

They sound great played with a pick. I can get a very convincing Roger Waters tone that way, or step on an OD pedal and I'm in Foo Fighters land. (Note: I neither know nor care what kind of strings Roger Waters or Nate Mendel use. I'm just saying it works for me.)

IME, they break in after a couple of weeks. There are some people who swear they sound better after the first year. I've had mine on maybe a year and a half, and I don't hear anything magical about them that wasn't present this time last year.
  13. shawshank72

Does anyone see any problems with the custom sets i mentioned?
    Or should i get the fl set?
    The thin g and d scare me.
    I have a set of 9050M on one bass 55-105 so im not afraid of tension.
  14. f.c.geil

Media:
    Go with FLs, the D and G are plenty strong.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LaBella sets, from what I've seen, have pretty balanced tension, so incresing the tension in some but not all might cause you to end up with an odd feeling set. If I were you, I'd just get the Jamerson set if you like thick strings.
  16. Grissle

Grissle

GHS Precision flats have more low mid fundamental and LaBellas more hi mid so they sound slightly mid scooped with more pick attack in comparison.
  17. Salamenster

Salamenster

This. I love my GHS P flats. :bassist:
  18. lopesraphael

lopesraphael

How's its tension? I mean is ghs stiffer than 760fl?
  19. Grissle

Grissle

Well I got the heavier set .055-.105, and they do loosen up a little. They have less tension than my old, old Fender flats did and I don't have to struggle with them and I'm small guy. Everyone's different but my guess is the lighter gauge set would be reasonably flexible.
  20. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Pyramids are odd...they feel fantastic! but they make the E string to ring different then all the other strings...it has a more thud dead sound to it then the other strings. as the other strings kinda die it seems the E comes more to life and they even out a bit. other then that they are great strings! just have to be prepared for a weird E string.

my Favorite are sadowsky flats. great feel medium to low tension and nice even sound. slightly bright yet still deep....very nice strings!
    labellas have too much boom and a little too high of tension for me. they are so deep they dont really have an even tone.
  21. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I agree with this. The 760FS set felt the most well balanced to me after trying the lighter gauge out of tension fears. I was actually kind of turned off by them until I tried the FS which felt perfectly balanced. The D and G felt too light in comparison with the other sets. I felt like the FS were actually slightly lower in tension, though this may be because I can achieve lower overall action and relief with them with no rattle.