1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

LaBella Tapewounds On Precision

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MoreBeer, Mar 2, 2014.

1. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

So I'm doing a little modding on a new white Squier P Bass, Chris Aiken model. Adding a pearl pickguard, vintage bridge and pickup covers and adding a tone pot (which it lacks). The bass has a beautiful maple neck with pearl inlays so I thought a set of white LaBella tapes on this would look badass. Aside from maybe looking cool on this bass, any opinions on these strings would be great. And do these strings appear somewhat "white" or are they basically clear? Thanks!

Edit: I know they are somewhat clear....was just wondering if they appear white in the least. And if not, are there tapes out there which are really white?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

They're clear....and awesome. Here's what they look like on my jazz bass:
    [​IMG]
    Keep in mind the 115 set may require nut slot filing. The 105 set is very low tension.

3. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

I was going to get the 105's to avoid filing the nut. Considering the lower tension, I would imagine I may have to raise the action as I normally have that set pretty low.

Thanks for the picture! Although they are clear, they do appear to have a little bit of a white cast to them.

4. Gorn Captain

That may be the lighting. But yah, the 105s are quite loose.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

Yeah...probably the light is providing a tough of glare to the pic.

7. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Are they as loose as a set of TI flats? I would like to try a set of these in 105, but tried TI flats and, like many, found them too low-tension.

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Looser for sure. They sure are easy to play though!

9. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Oh darn. I really would like to try these, but the 115 set will need me to file my nut, and that would be painful and permanent :smug:

10. Gorn Captain

Yup. Definately looser than TI's. You could always get a new nut with wider slots. If the 115s don't work out, you can switch back.