1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lace Deathbar extended range guitar pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lackey, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Lackey

Lackey

...Ok, so they're not specifically made for bass, but they are made for 7 to 10(!) string guitars that go waay into the bass range. Plus, from a purely aesthetic standpoint they're ruthlessly simple and elegant, and I dig that. (sorry, archi-speak outburst) The exposed magnets and folded steel chassis sends a shiver down my spine...

So maybe they're not an immediate swap in for bass guitar, but I would love to see them develop a bass version, especially since the ad says they have a very present midrange.

http://www.lacemusic.com/Deathbar.php

2. Lackey

Lackey

3. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I do not have any experience. But I completely agree with you on looks. If they sound as good as they look, that's one nice pickup.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I like them I wonder if they could replace my EMG's?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. deeptubes

deeptubes

These caught my eye in the StewMac catalog. Was looking for p'ups to mod a cheap fretless I have. Decided the fretless isn't worth modding. These are really sharp looking, if nothing else. It's only got 2 reviews on Amazon, both are 5*.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

looks interesting, but their blurb for the P versions touts them as being environmentally friendly because they use less copper;

this made me hate them instantly, since regular pickups only use a few ounces anyway :rolleyes:

it's like seeing a tub of lard for sale in the grocery store with a blurb saying "gluten-free!"

8. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Or seeing a pickup truck full of coal for sale with the selling point that it's less than a boxcar of coal thus better for the environment.

But I'm still interested to read any TONE reviews of them, PC BS notwithstanding.

9. Toptube

Toptube

I have a Lace Helix bass with an Alumitone pickup in it.

I wouldn't say they get particularly deep, but they do sound pretty nice. Good mid range character with a nice, subtle grind. the upper mids and highs come out with a nice "pop" and sparkle. They are a good pickup.

They are also very light weight. You will likely save about a pound VS. typical soap bar pickups. They don't have a giant coil of wire and magnet underneath them.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I think processing aluminum is worse for the environment than copper, although copper mining does make a big hole.

I liked the Lace Transsensors (the predecessor to the Alumitones) better. I find the Alumitones to be on the microphonic side. But they are cool looking.

11. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

This, plus their unique aesthetics, are probably their biggest selling points. They don't sound bad, just kind of "averagely pleasant." But, if you're like a friend of mine who has back problems, cutting a pound of pickups out of a bass can make a difference.

12. Lackey

Lackey

So random revival, apologies.. But I had the fortune of playing several lace basses with these pickups yesterday, and they were quite cool. VERY strong midrange heft, good high end, decent low end, although the bridge position was a little light on bass for me. Fun sound though, for a metal band one of these in the sweet spot with some boosted lows would kill. two thumbs up, and Jeff Lace is a very nice guy that knows his products.

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

I dont get the claim that they can reduce up to 2 lbs weight compared to regular guitar pups. Ive never come across any guitar or bass pups that even weighed a pound.

Maybe wrong, but they dont look like direct fit replacements for most pups somehow. Screw position for adjusment diff in diff place then normal for a start.

Another guitar and bass making company was using pups they called alumitone that looked similiar yrs ago. Played them in a guitar at a store once. Bass response was not to good but mids and highs where nice. Adjusting pups heights better might have improved sound though. Dunno if these are same pups or similiar though.

14. Lackey

Lackey

They had an EMG of the same shape for weight reference, the Alumitones are probably less than half the weight. Surprising really, so I take their claims at face value for the most part. I imagine replacing two pickups on a five string could net a major weight loss.

15. Toptube

Toptube

I'm not sure if you are talking about my post or not. But to be clear, I meant saving jup to about a pound per two pickups. At the least, alumitones are way lighter than conventional pickups. But if you have a bass with some dual blade EMGs or maybe something similar to an Epiphone thunderbird pickups, you would save about a pound by swapping for Alumitones.

16. lex_lacemusic

lex_lacemusic

Disclosures:
    Production Manager: Lace Music
    Glad you liked! Always rad to read about players first experiences with our product :bassist:

17. lex_lacemusic

lex_lacemusic

Disclosures:
    Production Manager: Lace Music
    As far as the pickup weight issue, I use to work for a different bass company when i first turned 18 and wound production and custom pickups, and also built the guitars. I can say from personal experience that the Alumitones are significantly lighter than any other type of pickup ive ever made. The main reason being that the secondary bobbin that has the coil winding is as about as small as your thumb nail, so there really inst that much wire weighing the pickup down. So when replacing 2 traditional wound pickups with the Alumtione, you can definitely feel a difference in weight.

18. Nev375

Nev375

Well, ya know.... marketing people aren't exactly well known for their command of things like logic and critical thinking.

Talkbass is one place where engineers can communicate well with a certain portion of the consumer public... (the nerdy computer literate portion) If you want to sell your products to the rest of the morons in the world, you need people that speak their language.

Is it wrong that Lace wants to sell their product to morons too? Some of those morons can actually play. And the extra cash could be used to develop more cool pickups!

19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Did you really see that? Gluten is from wheat and related grain species!

20. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

They also have many vegetable products that say cholesterol free haha. Actually you might even find whole wheat flour our there with a cholesterol free label.

21. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

I had an Aluma P pickup in my old parts pbass, and i loved it. It replaced a Dimarzio model P i use to have in it which was also a great pickup, but the Aluma P had more balls to it.