1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lace Sensor Jazz Pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kmay, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Kmay

Kmay

So, I have a thread on this bass on here from when I got it. It had a new neck because the dude I bought it from broke the truss rod and sold it to me that way, so I fixed it.
    So, here I go with playing the crap out if it!
    I'm just not to happy with the sound I am getting from the pickups...
    So, I am considering swapping them out. What I am curious about is:
    My bass doesn't have a pick guard like most jazzes. It does have active electronics in it. Now, as far as sound, I have a EBMM that gives me crazy good growl and rock/blues tones. I just want to have something with coherent tonal options. Going for a jazz sound. Like solo style stuff. I want thick, clean and defined. What pickup and preamp combination should I be looking at. I know there are so many...I want to stay active. Oh, and it's a 5 string bass.
    Thanks guys.
  2. deeptubes

deeptubes

I have 3 basses with lace sensor pickups. Love them! Your bass is a Jazz Plus. People really seem to dig those. I'm not a J fan, but I really like the J Plus. Did you do a complete setup? If not, do that before you do anything else. Here's a link to a manual: http://support.fender.com/manuals/instruments/Fender_Guitars_and_Basses_(2003)_manual.pdf
    I read your earlier thread, and if you're still wondering, the knobs are as follows - Volume/Pan, Bass/Treb, Four Setting Rotary Knob: "Off," Passive, Active and Active with adjustable mid boost

Best of luck, brother! :bassist:
  3. Kmay

Kmay

Well ****. It needs set up again. I was told since it's a new neck that I'll have to set it up a few times.

I'll keep playing with it before I make any rash decisions. Lol! Thanks for the advice on the knobs.
  4. Kmay

Kmay

Hey man, thanks for the knob config. It helped a lot. I think the bridge pickup might be weak...it seems to have a much lower output than the neck? Any clue why?