Lacquer for fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fallen Zephyr, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Fallen Zephyr

Fallen Zephyr

I plan to defret my bass in the coming weeks, and my dad told me that he could get plenty of lacquer that he uses to finish cabinets to use for the finger board. He says it gets fairly hard, but I'm wondering if it would be hard enough. Should I just use epoxy?

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If it's nitrocellulose lacquer, it's probably not hard enough. If it's pre-cat lacquer, it might be. Are you planning to use flat wound or round wound? Round wound are a lot harder on the finish. Since your dad uses various finishes, he may have a source for epoxy.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

What kind of wood is your fingerboard? If its rosewood or ebony, then a finish isn't exactly necessary. If its maple, I would go for an epoxy or CA glue finish. Nitro, or even pre-cat lacquer will not hold up well.

4. Fallen Zephyr

Fallen Zephyr

I will probably use GHS Pressurewound strings, though I would like the option of using roundwounds in the future. He doesn't actually do the finishing himself, but he works with a cabinet builder. All that my dad knows is that it is lacquer. Which would be most commonly used for finishing cabinets?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fallen Zephyr

Fallen Zephyr

It is a rosewood board, but I would like to avoid excessive wear, and have that Jaco-esque tone.

7. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

didn't jaco use boat epoxy? by the way, i have no clue what i'm talking about, just think i read that somewhere.....

8. panas

panas

So is epoxy the best for an ebony or wenge fretless fingerboard?
    Which one is the best way to apply it on the fingerboard?
    Thank you!