1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lacquer / Varnish for a fretless fretboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chris V., Dec 3, 2007.

1. Chris V.

Chris V.

Hello!

I just defretted by bass and I would like to varnish it because I don't want the fretboard getting all mashed/eaten up!

So, what would be the best varnish to use? It's a rosewood fingerboard, so I have no idea if that makes a difference.

Thanks everyone!
    Chris.
  2. Chris V.

Chris V.

3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Neither,
    You need something with better protection, I like lots (30 or more) coats of Poly many people like Epoxy.
    You might try a search, this has been discussed many times.
    Good luck,
    Dirk
  4. Chris V.

Chris V.

I tried searching both lacquer and varnish. Nothing came up.

I'll try with poly and epoxy.

Thank you.
  5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Yep that is my point. :)
  6. Adamski5

Adamski5

Hi there.

I will be coating a fretless neck in due course, can you give me examples of poly or epoxy please, like brands or whatever?

When I come to oil and varnish the rest of the bass's body, how many coats are recommended please?

Thank you
  7. bassteban

bassteban

Search under *coated fingerboard, superglue, cyanoacrylate, CA, epoxy*
  8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    System 3, West Systems, and Z Poxy are the 3 most common epoxies used for coating fretboards
  9. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

I just read at another forum someone used marine grade fiberglass resin. It only took one coat.
    Jaco used Petit's Poly-Poxy found in boat supply stores. I think Jaco put 7 or so coats with that epoxy.

And of course if you use round wound strings, even the epoxy will have to be sanded down every so often to eliminate string marks.
    Epoxy should be a harder surface than rosewood though and the poly as well.