1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

LAG bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzint, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Jazzint

Jazzint

Hey y'all. I'm looking at a LAG bass, French brand. Rosewood fb, maple neck, mahogany body, bolt-on, active-passive. Are you familiar with this brand? Do you recommend it? I play all styles, including slap. Do you think that wood configuration is good for a slapper? Thanks all in advance
  2. Jazzint

Jazzint

Anybody?
  3. Jazzint

Jazzint

(bump in the night :(
  4. bassteban

bassteban

Dunno if I can help- when you say LAG you don't mean Luthiers Access Group, do you? If so I can absolutely vouche for Dan. If not, I'm also in the dark...
  5. LAG

LAG

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Fan: Green bay Packers
    Who me? I play a Lakland and I'm not French.

edit; oh youre talking about a brand name, sorry. :D
  6. Freddy

Freddy

I know that they used to make som funky high class looking headless basses that stirred my interest. LAG does have a website, but I`ve not seen any info on basses there. (I`m at work now so I can`t help you with the url now).
  7. darkbass

darkbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Product Osiamo Dist: Mooer + Taurus Pedals + Dr.J + Big Foot Pedals
    Did u ever get that Lag Bass?

Rawn R

myspace.com/darkbassmuz
  8. hkutluay

hkutluay

My teacher got a lag. It has a f hole on in.. With bartolini J pickups and preamp.. I know that it's handmade.. Its sounds very good..

for more info you could contact with me..
  9. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

There were also some LAG designed Japanese made basses on the market in the late 80's early 90's many of them had the bart electronics wired wrong....cool basses though.
  10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

The OP probably refers to the custom French basses (and guitars) LAG. I have tried couple of basses and guitars. They were very nice and great sounding but out of my price range at the time so I had to pass
  11. farfadet

farfadet

Some example of Lag basses:
    http://www.laboitenoiredumusicien.com/forum//showthread.php?t=587
    http://www.guitare-village.com/occasion/basses/basses_matos_120.php
    ...and other original instruments like headless basses.

They had also a line created with the luthier André and Roger Jacobacci. They were originaly making bass like this: http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/produits/audiofanet/normal/1/0/109327.jpg
    which became the Lag Jacobacci 400 and 500 Series under lag license:
    http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/produits/audiofanet/normal/3/2/32737.jpg

I tried one once. Good bass, the lightest i've ever tried, maybe too light, it felt a little like a toy to me. The old one are know to be very good instruments for the most.
    >
  12. brh99a

brh99a

Jazzint, did you buy the Lag? I had one but had it stolen out of my truck while parked on Music Row here in Nashville. I'm kinda wondering if the one you saw for sale was the one that was lifted?

I've always wondered about where that bass went, and hoped that I'd see it pop up in town again (who else plays a Lag, ya know?). Thanks man!
  13. Jazzint

Jazzint

Hey. No, didn0t buy it. It was al left-handed bass for sale in French ebay. Hope yours turns up and you can recover it.
  14. brh99a

brh99a

Cool, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm sure someday I'll see it around town. Thanks again.
  15. grunz7

grunz7

good basses BUT be aware of the neck - the headstock is laminated to the neck and during one gig the headstock completely lost it's glued connection to the neck - only being held in place by the glue of the fretboard. also the necks are too thin and warp when climate changes (like going someplace else to play ;-).

Nevertheless mine is passive with bartolinis and beside the neck problems (glued together again) it's the bass i pick up to play at home - someday i get a better neck for it and it will be my main bass again ...
  16. grunz7

grunz7

just another note - lag is / was a french company. they had some success in the 80 and i guess up to the mid 90 in europe. but then the disappeared, went bankrupt or so. there's now again a french guitar builder with the name lag - http://www.lagguitars.co.uk/index.aspx but i am not sure how much they are related to the original company.
  17. grunz7

grunz7

18. OlafR

OlafR

Lag is cool. Especially the old ones.
  19. victorlion

victorlion

Hi,Folx!
    Here is the link,where I jam with Steve Vai,I play LAG Force 6 bass,wich I bouth in Paris in 1992...I still play on
  20. jainaynay

jainaynay

HI
    I have a Lag Bass which appears to be like the one you described...a real beauty