1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Laguna Ocean TB70 problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tskrs2, Nov 30, 2007.

1. tskrs2

tskrs2

Hey everyone, I recently picked up one of these laguna 4 string basses and It seems to have a crap load of low end on the e string and a crap load of high end on the d and g strings but when I play the a string theres just nothing there.Cant hear it when playing live with my band or feel it hit. I thought it was a string but stuck a new one on and still nada. Ive messed with all the eq knobs and adjusted my amp all sorts of crazy and nothin. I also dropped the string closer to the pickup and nothing. Im happy with the sound of the bass until I play that damn string. Any suggestions????? Thanks
    Tim

2. alexofc69

alexofc69

use it for firewood or return it to GC

3. tskrs2

tskrs2

Option 2 sounds to be the right idea. anyone wanna buy it for $700 cash. Its the black pore 4 string model. Located in MN

4. alexofc69

alexofc69

when did you buy it? I think GC has a 60 day return. If not the bass should have at least a 1 year warranty.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tskrs2

tskrs2

I actually only got a 2 weeks ago but got a good deal on it.Everyone else is selling them for $750 plus tax.

7. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

It's not that much of a good deal if it's not working for you. I've been in the same situation and finally decided to just take the bass back.

8. OrangeSauce

OrangeSauce

You should make sure this doesn't turn into a for sale thread.

Personally, I'd take it back. Usually the people at my GC are nice enough to understand something like that.

9. alexofc69

alexofc69

Like I said take it back to GC. Honestly I played one at GC. Not bad, but not worth $750. I would rather a Schecter for 250 less.

10. tskrs2

tskrs2

Yup, gonna take it back, played it at a show last night and the piece of crap let me down. Still makes me wonder why that string has no bump to it. Maybe a dead piece of wood they used i guess. thanks everyone. Beware of this BASS!

11. alexofc69

alexofc69

take it back and get a Schecter Stilleto Custom 5 for $549 or so.

12. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Don't. Schecters sound awful. Did you try changing the strings?

13. alexofc69

alexofc69

They sound as awful as you want them to sound. Or if your playing through a garbage can.
    I get all of the right tones out of it through my Ashdown MK500, 2 MAG 4x10 cabinets with a SansAmp for some extra coloration.
    While not the best tone monster in the world. the Schecter does fine and Im sure is significantly better than an Ocean.

14. tskrs2

tskrs2

yep, changed em twice. Im gonna try another ocean and see if it has the same problem. I love the punch of all the other strings, just not the A

15. tskrs2

tskrs2

Well i swapped out my old bass and picked up another ocean and there definately was something wrong with my other one. This one actually sounds nice on the A string!! Perfect low end on it. Thanks for your input everyone. Rock on

16. alexofc69

alexofc69

Well, very cool! It sux when you have a frustrating problem like that. At least you had the warranty

17. DaveCharis

DaveCharis

I have a Ocean bass picked it up not to long ago, I like playing it in normal tuning, But in the band we play in drop B so.. I am not to happy with how it sounds. and man does it sound bad to record with..
    But like I said it sounds great playing some slap or just some jazz stuff in E tuning..

I am selling mine for $600

If you guys are interested let me know.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/501315449.html

Check it out and Buy it!

18. gordon5377

gordon5377

I realize this post is over a year and a half old, but I'm curious and have some questions. The first Ocean you had, was this one of the original ones with the "Ocean" headstock, or one of the new ones with the black "Laguna" headstock? When they gave you a new guitar to replace the old one, did they give you an "old" or "new" version? I have the original version ("Ocean" headstock, matches the guitar) and still have this problem. I adjusted the pickups and the situation is better but I still loose presence, somewhat so on the D and alot on the G.

19. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Just to add a note. If you upgrade to the bartolini mk4cbc pickups the balance issue is fixed AND they sound REALLY good. Like night and day... I did it myself.

20. OldBillJones

OldBillJones

I bought a Laguna Ocean Bass from a guy who wasn't happy with the sound...the problem ended up to be only that the scale length of each string was not set correctly. This adjustment is done at the bridge with a turn of a screw. You can do it yourself, but you should do some research for it first. Generally measure from the nut to the 12 fret and double it to reach the bridge. However, the diameter of each string affects the adjustment with the bigger strings needing to be set back more. String height also affects scale length adjustment so set the strings as low as possible while avoid buzzing. Good Luck.

21. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

That's called intonation. Congrats on bringing back a post from a couple years ago.