"Lakes" by Metheny Solo Approach

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RyRoBass, Dec 1, 2013.

1. RyRoBass

RyRoBass

Any ideas on how to approach a solo on this tune? I can't find a commonality among the changes that would offer an approach other than playing over every chord, which is beyond my ability. Thoughts?

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Much like Coltrane's Giant Steps, Lakes features shifting tonal centers. You really need to deconstruct and find the sections that share a tonal center and where the shifts occur. So there are commonalities among small groups of chords, but no one scale can be used for the entire piece. In other words, you picked a difficult one.

3. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor

As FretlessMainly said, Lakes sounds to me a lot like Giant Steps. Both songs are fiendishly difficult and would probably take a fair amount of study. It's stuff from the deep end.

If you are not used to playing over shifting tonal centers, and are dying to play some Matheny, I would recommend you start with something a bit more obvious like, "Are you Going With Me", which would give you more space to explore the centers.

Giant Steps is probably worth looking over and there are a few method books, YouTube vids, etc that will tell you exactly how to approach this advanced tune.

4. RyRoBass

RyRoBass

Thanks for the advice. I'm required to play it for a gig, actually, but now that I'm in it, it's turning into a fun challenge.

5. Register to disable this ad