Lakland 44-02 Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drienvyftigcent, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

I'm interested in a 44-02 and might buy it second hand. What I hope to achieve with the bass, if i buy it, is a pretty close jazz bass sound(along with many other tones of course). However, the guy said that the humbucker pickup is wired in series which would sound closer to a Music Man than standard wiring, it's done by a luthier. Now, I'm afraid that with this everything is going to sounds drastically different, especially if i want to get a jazz sound and I put on both pickups with the humbucker panned on the back single coil. What do you guys think about this? By the way my english isn't great. I can't try it out and have to decide if i buy it based on information from the internet.

2. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

The 44-02 with stock wiring CAN do a very good 60s or 70s varieties of a jazz bass just by selecting either coil of the MM style humbucker. But, you're right about the series humbucker wiring.... it's NOT going to sound like a jazz.

Sorry

3. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

Ah...dangit. Are you sure that the series wiring is going to affect the tone if i select the front pickup with the back coil (jazz tone), and not just the tone with the humbucker soloed? because this is what someone told me.

4. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

Because for me the jazz tone i want is with both pickups engaged and the back coil of the mm, not just the back coil soloed wich would be more like the bridge pickup of a jazz bass soloed. I know this might sound weird but i really have to know this. I don't really care if the mm pickup on its owns sounds more like a musicman or the back pickup soloed, i just want the back coil combined with the neck pickup to sound like a jazz bass, wich should be possible,and i dont know if that's possible with the series wiring...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

If you can read a schematic and use a soldering iron, rewire it to stock. I think I have the LH3 schematic. If want it pm me and look at the wiring before you buy. If everything else is not tampered with this is and easy fix.

7. pedroims

pedroims

Seems like you really want to have a jazz tone, in that case I would recommend you to buy a jazz bass: DJ, JO are solid choices, add a j retro for more tone control.

8. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

I was planning to buy the dj first but after all the 44-02 seems to be better for me. I'm not skillful with a soldering iron so the only thing left for me to do is to ask him to to get it back to standard wiring, if he wants. If not i'll just wait for a new opportunity.

9. inate_hex

inate_hex

I bought a 44-02 because I wanted the musicman tone, in the end I just went out and bought a musicman. Then I ended up trading the 44-02 for a HH Bongo. if you want the jazz tone, then buy a jazz bass. The 44-02 gets tones close to the p bass, j bass and musicman but falls short and never really nails them. the playability of the instrument and build quality was superb. I had the older model of 44-02 with the Bartolini pickups. I also hated the active mode and the preamp.

10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

You CAN have the neck pickup and JUST the back coil of the bridge coil engaged....that is WHY there is a toggle switch....

I find I can get a very close J sound with either coil engaged (by itself)....but like others have said, if you want a J sound and find no need/desire for a humbucker sound, a DJ or 44-60 (JO) with a Jretro will be an excellent option.

11. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

Well i asked the seller if he could change it back but he said this:

blending the two pickups is still possible, because the only wiring that was changed is the one of the 3-way switch that affects only the bridge pickup.

Bass has two pickup, Neck one with only one coil and bridge pickup with two coils. 3-way switch affects only to the bridge pickup as follows:

3-Way switch in standard wiring has
    position 1) only coil closer to the bridge
    position 2) both coils in parallel
    position 3) only coil closer to the other neck pickup

3-way with my wiring:
    position 1) only coil closer to the bridge (sounds the same as standard)
    position 2) both coils in series (sounds a bit loudier and punchier, I like it better)
    position 3) only coil closer to the other neck pickup (sounds the same as standard)

Neck pickup was not touched and is wired in same way

Pan control that blends both pickups, was not touch and blends in the same way.

So according to this the only wiring he did was that of the humbuckers whith the 2 coils combined, every other tonal option should stay the same. If so then for example if i were to solo the neck pickup with the back coil of the bridge pickup the sound should be the same, a jazz tone. So I guess that in that case the only thing changing is the sound of the humbucking pickup with both coils engaged and not the coils seperated?

12. LightGroove

LightGroove

Agreed...even better when equipped with Bartolinis vs the Hanson stuff