1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lakland 44-60 vs. Lakland DJ4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LaBassGuy, Dec 22, 2013.

1. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

I understand that the DJ4 is based on Darryl's 1964 Fender jazz, yet a lot of people think of it as a '70s style jazz, comparable to the AVRI '75.

The 44-60 is supposed to have a '60s vibe, yet some people say it sounds more 'modern' than the DJ4.

So, how do these really compare if you're looking for a bass that compares to the AVRI '62 or the newly released '64?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I was dead set on getting a 62' AVRI until I played a 44-60. It completely blew the AVRI out of the water in every way for me. The biggest things that make it more modern IMO are the fretboard radius, the feel of the neck, and the finish. It doesn't have gloss like the Fender and the body is poly rather than nitro.

The DJ is a super nice bass as well but I don't own one. IIRC, the body is a little smaller than the JO and it's active.
  3. macribas

macribas Supporting Member

No, the DJ is not active. It comes with the standard vol vol tone jazz plate controls. Many owners install Audere or East pre amps, that's probably why the confusion.
  4. tharv

tharv

I own both models. Love each for their "personality".

The DJ feels smaller overall. VERY comfortable to play. Sounds amazing (I have an older model with the Aeros pickups). Hands down the most defined sounding passive Jazz I've played. 70's pick up spacing.

The 44-60 feels more substantial to me. Also a great feeling bass, but different. Feels more "old school" to me? Sounds the part too. More mellow sound/vibe with the Lakland pick ups in the 60's spacing. The model I have is a stack knob configuration, which I'm still trying to get accustomed to (I've had it just over a week).

Can't go wrong with either one, they're just different animals. I'd guess the 44-60 is more in line with what the OP is after.
  5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

I agree with the post above....having owed both at different times....

The DJ has a smaller body and 70s spacing.....the 4460 is more old school....especially when loaded with the Hanson vintage pickups!
  6. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I own a DJ5 and have measured the pickup spacing. It's 60's for sure. The Hanson's are just fantastic! Big, round, and warm. Love 'em!
  7. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Does somebody knows if the new DJ and JO have the same Hanson pickup? i know that in the beginning the DJ used to have Aeros and JO Fralins.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I was also under the impression the pickup spacing is identical. The DJ just has a smaller body and the Skyline version comes with a bound and blocked neck. US version comes with a standard style neck but can be ordered with a bound and blocked neck if desired. I believe the newer versions of both basses come with the Lakland/Hanson pickups.
  9. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

So if the spacing is the same as are the pickups, what accounts for the different tone characteristics? Is it the wood combo?
  10. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    No 2 sets of pickups will sound exactly the same even if they are the same brand and model. Unless you're talking about older models. The older DJ's came with Aero's. Older JO's came with Lindy Fralins (I think). But if you want to be sure, contact the folks at Lakland. I made a pic of both basses side by side. Pickups look to be in the same exact positions. I could be wrong but it's what my eyes see.

[​IMG]
  11. evhest

evhest Supporting Member

Pickup spacing is not the same on my US DJ and US JO. On the DJ, the bridge pickup is something like half a cm closer to the bridge. It was the same on Skyline models I had earlier.

I heard people saying the spacing is the same before. It is not.
  12. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Not arguing but can you explain the picture above? What year models are your Laklands. I also heard they were different.....at one time. I am no expert. But like I said, check with the folks at Lakland. Or hit up Jauqo III-X. He's very knowledgable about Laklands. He can give you a history lesson.
  13. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

I have a Korean Skyline DJ4 and love it. I'm more of a P guy, but I really dig the DJ's smaller body. I happened to find a light one (8.4 lbs), so when I know I'm going to be playing a long gig, I always bring it.

In terms of the pickups, mine has the Aeros, and I tend to use the neck pickup exclusively. If I use the bridge pickup at all, it's dialed in at around 25%.
  14. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Ok, well I have the Fender AVRI '75 and was thinking about buying the '62 RI as well. But lots of people suggest the 44-60 instead of the '62 RI.

So I'm thinking the DJ4 might be the better choice?
  15. basspraiser

You will not be disappointed.
  16. basspraiser

As for stock pickups.. BOTH come with standard Hanson j pickups.

You can order him cancelling pickups.....vintage pickups....chisonic pickups as options

I have chis...vintage... and standard....in different basses....all excellent...just depends what you are looking for