1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lakland 55-01 Damaged Body Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thumpinshelton, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

I came across this bass and can get a good deal on it, but I would like opinions on if the chip would effect the tone at all over time?
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Nah, I wouldn't think so. Knowing my luthier/tech, he would smooth out the area and refinish it.
  3. madrob

madrob

Affect the tone??

Really?

Sheesh!!!!!

:eyebrow:
  4. DanGouge

DanGouge

5. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Buy it if you like it. A quick touch up and you'll never have to worry.
  6. Yango

Yango

The prognosis is not good, I've seen chips like that before. We, in the biz call them "tone chips". In the beginning it's not too serious, but over a period, sometimes as short as two days, the tone of the instrument deteriorates very quickly to the point where it is unrecognizable. The horrible sound that these instruments put out can only be compared to a kazoo, and there's usually nothing that can be done to rectify the problem.

Personally, I would never buy an instrument with a tone chip as serious as that, no matter how cheap.
  7. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

cosmetic only
  8. jangalang

jangalang Supporting Member

Really tone chip what would it be called if it was sanded so that ergonomically it fit the body better? Sand and refinish have yourself a nice bass. 
  9. millsbass5

millsbass5

Affect the tone? If that would be case, Sheehan, SRV, Jaco, etc., would've been screwed, don't you think? Have you seen the instruments those guys have used in their careers? That's just a bruise on that Lakland.
  10. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

:D just :D. Carry on.

Edit: I belong to the camp where "tone chips" are prized commodities. :p
  11. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

Ok, So after serious thought I decided to pull the trigger and go ahead and buy this one. At only $450 for a 55-01 I really had trouble walking away from it. I also sent the picture to Lakland and although it is a Skyline series they have helped me in the past with Skyline questions. They responded and their opinion was also that it should be fine with no issues. It is being shipped as I type this.
  12. Meddle

Meddle

Thats a tone hole forming right there!

This is a tone hole caused by the recent purchasing of a Crate guitar stack "because its 100 watts and I sound like Dimebag now!"

[​IMG]

Tone holes only get worse over time. The same guy then went onto Harmony Central and flamed people who told him his Crate amp sucked.

[​IMG]

Best get it sorted now. Tone holes suck your tone away until nothing is left. Where the tones go is not well understood. The earliest known record of a tone hole is probably Duane Allman's slide playing on Layla. Notice how there is a doppler shift (making him play badly out of tune) whilst the tone hole opens up and drags the tone down.

Your best bet is to get this stuff. Wooden bass? Wooden tone filler!

[​IMG]