1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lakland 55-01 Pickup replacement options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DWBass, Nov 3, 2012.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Just want to clarify what brands offer drop in replacements without and modifications.

So far I know the Bartolini MK5 is a direct drop in replacement. I know some Nordstrands will fit but are they direct drop ins? No mods needed? Any other brands? Recommendations?
  2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Yea, Nordstrand are drop ins. SGD's also make a bart sized pickup as well.
  3. Perytion

Perytion

I'm pretty sure that all of these drop-in options will still require some drilling to accommodate a different screw pattern. The stock pickups have one screw on each side, whereas the Bart MK5 and the Nordstrands have 2 on one side and one on the other.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

I have Bart MK5's in my 5501, which replaced Big Splits.

The MK5's are phenomenal. Wire them up with a 3 way mini switch for inner/outer/series and you have unleashed the tone monster inside that was waiting to get out! The Big Splits are more 'in your face', much brighter, much higher output. All that was way too much for me. The MK5's are smoother, more jazz-like, with a nice crunch and burp on top, depending on whether you use the outer coils or inner coils. So it just depends on what you're after.

Plan on replacing the preamp too, that makes a big difference. I use Audere, but Aguilar is equally nice.

The screw holes thing is a non-issue.
  5. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I've already replaced the pre with a US Bartolini 5.2AP. I'm leaning towards the MK5's. I'm a fan of full Bartolini installs. BBG is out of stock of the Neck pickups. Know of any other sellers?
  6. mmbongo

7. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    My bad. BBG is out of the Neck P/U, not the Bridge. Both sites have the Bridge.
  8. mmbongo

You could use the "T" in both positions if you wanted. It will just be a little brighter in the neck. They are labeled 'T' (treble) and 'B' (bass) instead of 'neck' or 'bridge'. Some bass companies actually use them backwards...T in the neck and B at the bridge to even it out.
  9. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

I think I am only TB member with EMG's in mine!
  10. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

I went with the MK5's in my 5501 and am so glad I did because I love the tone. The extra high end would be too much for me as well on the big singles After reading mmbongo's post I'm curious about switching positions of the pups and putting in the three way switch. I saw that in the instructions for an on/off/on switch where the middle position is both coils on each pickup. Although I'm really happy with the standard wiring that is a great option to be able to use inner and outer coils. I hear the midrange is sick on the inners only!
  11. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I decided to go with Nordie Big Splits. If I don't like them, I can sell them. I actually ordered the Bart MK5's but they didn't have the neck pickups in stock anywhere. And Bartolini was dragging their feet in producing and I got tired of waiting for them so I cancelled and went Nordie.