Lakland 55-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pickups, Feb 8, 2012.

1. pickups

pickups

Just got a Lakland 55-01 today and i have mixed feelings so far about it. The good: its fairly light (compared to my 75 jazz), the neck has a music man feel to it ( i need to get used to that again) and it has a good slap sound and solo sound. its not a bad overall sound just a little thin which i guess should be expected from a 5 string in this price range. The Bad: not impressed with the low B for finger or slapping. Its very clangy ( i know it has new strings but its a little too clangy even for that). Im wondering if its worth the money to put some Nordstands and new preamp in it if that would fatten everything up and tighten up the B string. Right now it has Barts MK-1’s i believe in it. I see where lots of people with this bass swap the electronics out but im just not sure cost wise if its worth it or maybe i should just get the 55-02 for better tone. Any thoughts are appreciated thanks Co

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Congrats on a great new bass, IMHO. But—no pics, no bass, LOL!

In mine I have the very hot output original 2003 vintage Korean made pre, and Bartolini pickups. I slightly roll off the highs and boost bass—also you might consider lowering the bridge pickup.

Is your 55-01 new? If so, it probably has new Lakland SS medium rounds on it, like these: Lakland Direct: Lakland Custom Wound Stainless - 5 String Set

Try some Lakland nickels or DR extra long nickel round wounds. I don't think you should be afraid to change the EQ on the instrument. Mine can get huge amounts of bass and or mids with lots of treble cut. Is your battery fresh?

3. pickups

pickups

Thanks for your reply Jim. I haven’t taken a pic yet because im still on the fence as whether to keep it or not. I just got it a few hours ago brand new. I think it could be very nice bass but a good set of nords can cost about $300.00 and who knows what a preamp cost to have installed. I got it for a good deal but im starting to wonder if im just a jbass guy. Been playing them for so long but this bass has a very nice slap tone to it that i really like. I actually ordered DR’s with it and they forgot to send them so i guess im using Lakland stock strings im really not sure. The thing is with my Aguilar amp if the bass has a sound issue that amp can be very unforgiving as it gives you your actual bass sound. every thing sounds good except the B. May lower pickups tomorrow. Thanks again

4. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    I have nord fatstacks and an aguilar obp-3 in my Valenti—great stuff, but honestly I find the stock 55-01 to be fine for me. I used to slap it a fair amount and use if for Jazz, but now use it for latin, reggae, and even country.

I don't find the B clanky, though I have a rosewood fingerboard and DR nickels on it right now. Perhaps your neck could use a hair more relief? These necks are pretty great—though I love Jazzes, too.

Here is a pick of mine to motivate your camera!

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    I am often using mine with an M9 carbine and an Epi 410. The GEQ on the carbine can remove the most clacky clack you might ever have, though I tend to run the GEQ off and the voice switch on 3 or 4—if I am not going try for all out Jawaiin Reggae Island music.

7. pickups

pickups

Very nice Deluxe you have sir! Im thinking the rosewood would have been a better choice, however, im going to spend some time with it tomorrow and may get a little bit bigger B string set and a little softer maybe. That should help it some. Being ive only had it a few hours i should give it some time before i decide what to do. It is a nice bass tho i keep staring at it ... now its time to play.

8. BTBBASSman

BTBBASSman

Want to sell it to me..lol

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

If it's new, it will have D'Addario XL's on it which are some of the clangiest nickel strings on the planet. DR Nickel LoRiders were by far the best sounding strings I tried on my 55-01, it went from clang city to fat, smooth, and buttery with the perfect amount of bite.

I took mine a step further and installed Bart MK5's and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp which of course turns that $800 bass into a $2500 bass. But try strings first, then preamp, then pickups. The preamp is...not great.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    +1 I installed a US Bartolini 5.2AP in mine. I haven't swapped out the pups just yet. I'm still researching for the right ones!

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I tried Nordtrand Big Splits and the Bart MK5's.

The Big Splits are STELLAR if you want a big huge bright Jazz bass sound with TONS of output.

I went with the MK5's because they fit what I do better. Smoother, lower output, and thunderous low end.

12. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

I just picked up a brand spanking new Trans Blue/Maple neck 55-01D Limited Edition courtesy of Bassclubchicago and even with the new strings I don't find it clangy and the B is very tight. I'm not impressed with the pre and will replace it with the Bart 5.2AP in a couple of weeks. Going to replace the strings with S.I.T. Power Wound Nickels to finish her off.

DWBass, can you describe the difference in tone from the stock MK1 pre to the US Bart 5.2AP?

13. PastorofMuppets

PastorofMuppets

I played around on a 55-01 for a long while before deciding the pups are a bit weak.
    It is a perfect bass to swap out pups

nordstrand dual coils would kill

14. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    Thanks! Give Lakland customer service a call. They can probably tell you what kind of strings those are. An old set of strings or a caliper can give you a good idea of the current gauges if Lakland can't tell you.

The Bartolini pickups are very clean, even, and quiet. The only complaint I have ever heard was in a Dylan Tribute band. The leader though it sounded good, but too modern. I think the term he used was "fake."

I had to laugh, because it was a big gorgeous growly tone without a lot of top or clack. I think it cut through a bit more than he was used to. I switched back to the more polite retro sounding Road Worn, and he was happy.

Soca, Reggae, Country, Klezmer, Latin Pop/Reggaeton—I think this bass is great for them. I do understand the desire to put in a nicer pre-amp. It all depends on whether or not you like the way your current pre assigns boost/cut center frequencies and bandwidth. This is purely a matter of taste I suppose, but be sure to experiment with the pickup balance, heights, strings, and even relief.

When I first got my 55-01D, I found the korean preamp to be a problem, because it was so hot—I had to avoid maximum volume setting on the instrument. However, to my surprise when I changed my amplification, the problem went away. My on-board pre does not have a mid-band switch or trim pot in the wiring cavity, but yours may. :cool:

15. pickups

pickups

So the OBP-3 preamp seems to get good reviews around here also anybody have experience with the Nordstrands Fat Stacks?

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    It's definitely a lot smoother sounding and not so much boost in the lows and highs. You get 2 (push pull knob) mid frequency controls (must use one or the other). Soundwise, it's almost the same since the pickups are the same. You also get true active/passive bypass. If the battery dies, just pull up on the volume knob and play in passive mode.

17. pickups

pickups

I was also wondering if its worth having Lakland just install the LH3 and then i might add the Nords later. Never new a lot about pickups but i know its not something i want to try and install myself as i have 0 electronics background.

18. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    My OBP-3 and Fatstack instrument (Valenti) has 5 pots, same as the 55-01. 4 are push/pull. The volume pot switches between active and passive. The treble pot coil-taps the neck pickup, the mid pot switches mid-bands, and the bass pot coil-taps the bridge pickup. Again, all 4 push/pull. You could do this with no drilling on the 55-01.

There are a lot of tones in the Fatstack/OBP-3 equipped instrument. Yet, since it is a fretless 5 (EADGC) with a 34" scale ebony fingerboard, it is pretty unique and hard to compare to my passive fretted instruments. However, of all my instruments, the Valenti and 55-01 are most alike. With the exception of the massive mwah the Valenti can send—the similarities far out weigh the differences, for me. :bassist:

Both instruments are clean clear modern and capable of dubby bottom, chocolaty warmth, punch, snarl, growl, snap, just about anything except real passive P/J sounds, and they can come pretty close to those. :cool:

My advice is to live with the instrument for a while, and try some of the basic adjustments. Besides your touch, the meat is in the mids, bass, and PU balance, IME.

19. pickups

pickups

had a friend tell me about the Mike Pope preamps that he used to have, i think its the same ones they put in Fodera’s, he says they're great but its a bit pricey. I think you’re odp, fat stack seems like a good option.

20. pickups

pickups

Jim do you know what the skill level is to install the Odp-3 and Nords? I have 0 electrical experience . thanks

21. chunger

chunger

Disclosures:
    Chunger basses by Studio 939
    I recently installed Nordstrand big splits onto a 55-01 for a friend along with the Nordstrand 3 band preamp. The difference was night and day from stock. The bass went from very one-dimensional (to my ear) to something much more nuanced and refined. The new preamp gave it a lot of range.

The preamp came pre-wired from Nordstrand so installation was relatively easy. I did have to splice in 2 wires to add a little length to make all the pots fit into the existing 55-01 hole locations, but otherwise, the installation went quite smoothly. The holes needed to be enlarged to 3/8" as well to fit Nordstrand's pots.

I also concur with the previous poster that DR nickel strings really sound nice on this instrument. I heard stock strings, DR SS lo riders, and DR neon (coated nickel) strings, and the neon ones ran really smoothly on this bass for some reason.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/b...ead-part-2-a-759091/index11.html#post11667875

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: I originally installed the Nordstrand dual coils but discovered the strength of the pull from so many Alnico poles per string caused the B string to buzz relentlessly, so I would not recommend that particular pickup on this bass. I chased this buzz up and down the bass for HOURS because everything measured correct on the fretboard, and the thing should have been playing awesome. This was verified by another local tech and then the bass was sent all the way back to Lakland factory (it was purchased new and they were kind enough to look at it under warranty) who verified the cause of the buzz was indeed the Nordstrand dual coils.