Lakland 55-02 change pickup for metal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nikki271027, Jan 19, 2013.

1. nikki271027

nikki271027

My Lakland is 55-02 with Barts pickup.
    But I play in a metal band now.
    I need some modern or aggressive sound and it can fit whatever music I play.
    Could any one give me a suggestion?
  2. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Markus Orange loves you. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Graphic Designer: Lakland, Hanson Guitars, and Wilkins Guitars
    The LH3 pickups and preamp would be my suggestion. More aggressive for sure. My 44-94 gets down right nasty.
  3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Nordstrand makes amazingly good pickups. The 5.2 and an NJ5FS would be a great combination for that bass.

There's a ton of options out there, though. Just depends on whether you want to sound more "Nu Metal" or more "Classic Metal".
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nikki271027

nikki271027

If i want Classic Metal, what should I get?
  7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Depending on your budget, there may be a few different ways to go on that. The general idea I'd think of is getting something passive that sounds really natural.
    For example, EMG or Delano is NOT going to sound as "natural", but will change the tone to what they want it to sound like. So I'd avoid those.
    (They sound good, but are geared towards the more modern, "nu metal" tone.)

Nordstrand makes fantastic, really good sounding pickups that bring out the true voice of the instrument... but are pricey. If you can budget for a set, I'd highly recommend them.
    Duncan makes some pickups that aren't as expensive and still sound really good.

Me personally, I can't stand Bart pickups. I feel like anything you put in there will be an improvement over those.