Lakland 55-02 Low B

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nyangsw, Jan 29, 2013.

1. nyangsw

nyangsw

Hey guys! What do you think of the low B on 55-02(55-94).
    I feel the perceived tension is a little low. Perceived tension refers to how tight the strings feel under my fingers.
    Does it matter?

2. nyangsw

nyangsw

3. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

What kind of strings do you use? What gauges? I have a 55-94, same scale...I use DR Sunbeams with a .130 and the B string is strong and focused. There are many string choices out there, if I were you, I'd try some different ones. The 55-02 is a very capable bass. Good Luck.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

I never noticed a problem with the low B on any of the Laklands I've owned (55-02, 55-01, 55-94, JO5, DJ5). What strings are you using, and do you have them string through the body?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. carlis

carlis

It's strong enough to sit well in mix.

7. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

You may want to hit either the Lakland forum here or the Lakland Owners Group on Lakland's web site. They'll answer all of your burning questions about this.

I for one, would recommend you put on a set of DR Lo-Riders. You'll notice the difference.

8. nyangsw

nyangsw

I use blue steel nickel and string through body.
    Should I try other string?
    Any suggestions?

9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

I always liked Lakland's own stainless strings on my Lakies, but had good luck with DR Long Necks as well.

10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Not as good as the same brand/guage string on a Modulus* with the same scale length, but pretty darn respectable, and firmer/tighter than the B on a lot of other similarly-priced instruments.

*I only mention Modulus because 1) it's the Best. B-string. Ever. and 2) I happen to have a Modulus and a Lakland Skyline 55-02D and have done lots of side by side comparisons.