Lakland 55-02 pickup issue (video description)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flyinglakland1, Sep 25, 2013.

1. flyinglakland1

flyinglakland1

So I noticed this a few weeks ago and have put off looking into it more because i've been busy lately with school. The problem lies with the pickup selector and the output they seem to have trouble with. Take a look and let me know if I left anything out. I
    Thanks!

edit* When I say its at the same volume, I mean its at normal loud volume, just with a crackle. Also, When it is selected in the middle between both, it has the qualities of both. Louder with some crackle, but not as loud as having it set to just the back pickup position. As if the neck pickup has an issue.

Jesse

2. ejmy

ejmy

Have you spoke to Lakland ? There is something wrong with your bass. I have the exact same one with the Barts, yours has an issue for shure.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Is the neck pickup volume ok when both pickups are on, or is it only in that position? Need more information for a diagnosis than you gave in your video. My first thought is that you have a bad blend pot, but it could be that the pickup is bad.

4. flyinglakland1

flyinglakland1

Sorry about the bad description. No. When it is selected in the middle between both, it has the qualities of both. Louder with some crackle, but not as loud as having it set to just the back pickup position. As if the neck pickup has an issue.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Interesting. I have not watched your video yet, but I'm experience maybe something similar with my Lakland preamp. Do you have the Lakland system or the Bart system?

I have a Lakland LH-3 removed from a 55-02, along with the Lakland pickups. I was going to install the entire system in another bass, but once I got it going I noticed the neck pickup sounded awful alone...like it was out of phase with itself. Long story short, I narrowed it down to the blend pot. Bypassing that fixes the issue, and touching the blend pot makes things crackle and cut out.

Does that sound like your issue?

7. Hopkins

Ok so the neck position is bad all the time. It could be a bad pot, bad solder joint, or bad pickup.

8. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Make sure you test it passive also to see if it does same thing. Likely the blend pot, poor solder joint or loose wire on pickup perhaps to blend. Could even be a bad ground on neck pickup. I'd check all wiring or have Lakland or a tech check for you.

9. Hopkins

Video said it was the same in passive or active. But yeah everything you said is spot on.

10. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

It sounds like one of two things:

1) You have a cold solder. I would reflow all of the solder joints on the blend pot. While you are doing this look at each wire to make sure that there are no breaks in it and that there is enough wire to have a good connection.

2) The blend pot is bad or needs cleaning. Get some contact cleaner and try to get it inside the pot housing. Turn the pot a few times and test.

11. flyinglakland1

flyinglakland1

Yes, the neck pickup does seem to be the culprit, but messing with the knob doesn't seem to change much,

The serial number starts in 08 so I belieeeve thats the Lakland pickups.

As far as the pot goes, I don't think its the main problem. After messing around with it some more, I did probably the last thing you are suppose to do and tap the neck pickup itself, and BOOM. Full sound. Still crackly/fuzzy but a few seconds later it dims back down to almost no sound. Nudging it around results in the same thing. It comes and goes like when you plug your head phone cable into your ipod half way and only some sound comes through. Once you push it in all the way you get full sound. I'm getting the same kind of thing when you move the neck pickup.

So I'm thinking its a soldering issue with the wires behind the nick pickup. I can make another video doing anything you guys think might be helpful to understand more. Its not a problem.

Im not sure if I want to send it to Lakland for this because I have gigs every other week or so, and its my only bass. I'd presume it would be gone for a couple weeks if I sent it to them. I'll see if I can get my Luthier buddy to take a look at it in the town over.

12. Texan

Try this: Remove the neck pick up and see if the wires are soldered per this pic. If any of the solders are weak this could be the culprit. Reflow, and test.

[​IMG]

13. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

If you can push down on the neck pickup and get the sound back then I'd be looking at the solder joints on the bottom of that pickup itself. Look to see if a wire is broken or frayed. If that pup is bottoming out in the cavity and the solder joint is touching the shielded compartment a simple piece of electric tape under the pickup would shield the pickup from the compartment (dunno if those are shielded with conductive shielding paint) Don't try to do any soldering yourself at the pickup unless you are really used to doing that or you could fry that pup! If it broke there get help. Good luck and keep us posted.

14. flyinglakland1

flyinglakland1

Okay I'll take a look at it this weekend and get it to my buddy who works on guitars if that's the case. Could that faulty connection be the reason behind the fuzz/crackle as well?

15. Texan

yes

The cavity is shielded with conductive paint. If you have basic soldering skills you can do it yourself.

16. Hopkins

How deep is the pickup set in the cavity, try raising the pickup slightly to make sure the solder joint isn't grounding against the shielding paint.

17. Texan

If it's as it was from the factory, there should be high density foam under the pups and sometimes the wire gets between the foam and pup and weakens the continuity.

18. oboylebass

oboylebass

What did Lakland say about this?

19. flyinglakland1

flyinglakland1

I have not contacted Lakland about it. Should I? It's factory, yes, and the neck pickup is where it should be, not recessed at all. Same as the bridge pickup. I'll dive deeper this weekend, as I'm buy, but I won't leave you hanging on what happened. I'll make sure you guys are filled in.