1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lakland 55-02 replacement nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

I have a Lakland 55-02 which has a total wrong string placement. Looks like there's way too much space on the B string side compared to the G string side.

I have a strong doubt that the bridge is incorrectly placed, and am more suspicious of the nut.

Does anyone know of a direct nut replacement I can purchase?

Attached is a pic!

Attached Files:

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

1 more, closer to the nut

Attached Files:

3. huben94

huben94 Supporting Member

How about a picture of the bridge?

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Here ya go. Actually looks like it could be total misalignment...

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. huben94

huben94 Supporting Member

See if you can correct by moving the bridge saddles a little?

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Loosen the strings, then loosen the neck bolts about half a turn. Then hold it by the upper horn and give the neck a good whack with the palm of your hand towards the upper horn. It doesn't take much movement at all to get the strings out of alignment.

If that doesn't work, you will have to reposition the bridge, the nut looks fine.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Hi Hopkins, I tried that. It improved by a millimeter or less. This is definitely improvement, but now the strings/dots/neck borders just looks uniformly offset (all the way from the top of the neck to the bottom).

It's better, but I could do with it all moving a mm or 2 to the B string side.

The problem I'm encountering with this is that the A string is quieter than the rest of the strings (a drastic 2-3 dB). Lakland claims that a tiny percentage of their MM/J basses have this.

I'm convinced that it's because of the overall string offset. I could be wrong. Additional pointers? :help:

9. MattyH

MattyH

You can try tweaking here and there, but unfortunately this is a COMMON problem for 55-02's. I owned 2 with the same thing. Ive played about 11 others with the same thing. I never noticed it while playing, but everyone is different. If you notice it then trying to get an alignment might serve you well. Just know its not damaged or shotty. This is just how they are. 9/10 Lakland 55-02's I've come into contact with had this.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Hi MattyH, thanks for the reply!

Are you talking about misaligned necks or a quieter A string?

Sounds like a problem with their machines in Korea/Indonesia!

11. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. If you are looking to centre the A string over the fingerboard dots, they shouldn't line up - the A string should be slightly to the south of the centre of the dots. However, the B string and the G string should be about an equal distance from the edges of the fingerboard. From the photo, I see no problem with the nut.

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Fine on the nut, fine on the distance of the strings over the dots.

However, what I'm trying to accomplish is a bass which is balanced volume-wise string to string.

Additionally, I just want a bass which has a B and G string equal distance from the edges of the fingerboard.

Don't get me wrong this 55-02 is amazing. It's lightweight, sounds great, sets up and plays great. However, the A string is quieter and I see that it has a slightly misaligned neck.

I am just looking for some sage advice :)

13. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You may need to dowel the bridge holes and reposition it slightly towards the B string.

14. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Yes, I think the issue is neck alignment. You are sure you can't shift the neck a bit more to the B side by loosening the bolts, pushing the neck over and retightening? That's usually the solution for the alignment problem. It probably won't help the weaker A string though. Check the height of the A string over the pickup compared to the E string - could it be that the A string saddle is too high?

15. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Shift the neck. Get someone to help tighten it back down as you hold it. All bolt ons may encounter this.

Seemingly, not only Fender suffer as some guys would make believe.

16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Pretty sure those pickups are bar magnets and not pole pieces so the mis alignment shouldn't be causing the quieter a string volume.

Not sure if they'll swap in, but you could try swapping in the saddles off the fender deluxe bridge. Those have the multiple string slots which could be used to skew the strings over to the left. Hipshot makes the lakland bridge and I saw jonno over in the a/c thread a while back had a hipshot b bridge with the adjustable saddles but they aren't a regular option.

17. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    The perceived weakness of the A string, and the actual--though minor--string alignment issue, are separate. Loosen the neck screws a tiny bit, and I mean not even 1/8 of a turn, leave the strings at tension, and see if you can pull the neck into better alignment. Put the bass between your knees with the low strings closest to you, grab the upper horn, grab the neck close to the nut, and gave it a firm yank. You may hear a creak or a crack, THIS IS GOOD, IT MEANS THE NECK MOVED! Recheck the alignment, and retighten the neck screws,

A weak string is nearly always a weak string.

This was rotten string alignment: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/new-esp-surveyor-415-bass-fixes-modifications-806852/

18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Thanks, I did do this and it definitely moved the neck into better position! It's better though not perfect. Definitely within a reasonable range :)

19. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Killer idea. Thanks for the info on the pickups being bar magnets. However, at this point the alignment (with the advice and help of everyone in this thread) is definitely acceptable!

Now the quieter string volume is the mystery, per Lakland caused by an anomaly in magnetic fields coming from the pickups. Since the alignment isn't fixing it, I'm going to try a different pickup. Aggies or Barts.

Thanks all for your advice in this thread.