Lakland 55-07

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackcarlisle, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jackcarlisle

jackcarlisle Supporting Member

What is a fair price range to pay for a Lakland 55-07? Not enough were made for me to figure it out. Passive Chi pickups. One minor dent in the clearcoat.

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

No preamp? All the 55-07s I've seen have a pre. Any blocks or binding? Painted finish, I assume? Matching headstock?

3. jackcarlisle

No painted headstock. No preamp. No binding. Painted CAR.

4. jackcarlisle

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jackcarlisle

Found a new one at Andy's Guitars in Tallahassee for $3,100 discounted. They call it a 5594 but is passive with Chi pickups passive. Same color. What should the used price be?

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

ahh...this is NOT a 55-07...it is a single coil CHi-sonic version of a 55-JJ or "dual J" as they were called.

Shortly before Dan Lakin sold Lakland he put 3 of these together...one "Goldfinger" (gold) was bought by my friend John and it had a B&B neck...gorgeous it is!!!! John since sold it but it is still around here (I forget who has it now).

The second "Nessie" was black and ended up going to Russia as a passive fretless. The bass was since converted to a fretted bass (still with ebony neck) and an LH3 was stuffed inside the cavity. I tried HARD to repatriate Nessie about a year ago but had no success :(

This was the third....it has been around the block a bit....not sure why....

Are you SURE that one is new???? can you post a link? I do not believe a similar one has been built by the current owners.

all I can say is that I see 55-95 (and their equivalents (i.e.55 dual Js: 55-76; etc) listed for $1800 to $2800 used. wide range I know.... I sold a 55 dual J (non Chisonic) for $2100 a couple of years ago and, more recently, paid about the same (a bit more) for a rare 55-76....

good luck!

8. jackcarlisle

Based on your explanation, I must be the owner of this "exclusive" bass. I can't find the posting of the bass shop in Tallahassee anymore and I bought the bass from an individual in Texas. Thanks for the info.

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on the score! I see it's in your avatar, but feel free to post bigger pics when you have a chance.

10. jackcarlisle

Photos. Always up for a trade for Roscoe Century or SKB image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

GregC likes this.
  11. macribas

macribas Supporting Member

Beautiful! Seems like a fairly new specimen. Can you share the Serial Number?