Lakland 5502 Jack Trouble?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jasper383, Nov 30, 2012.

1. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I have a Lakland 5502 bass, and lately it has been cutting out a little here and there.

Just kind of a static-y lower output, and when I jiggle the cord just a little near the jack, it goes away.

Is the jack causing this? What do I do to fix it?

2. Bobster

Bobster

That sounds like the jack. You will need to get a replacement jack.

I (and just about everybody else on TB) recommend Switchcraft. You will need to remove the nut on the current jack, without letting the jack itself twist.

Note the location of the wires on the current jack and desolder them. Then solder the wires to the new jack in the same locations.

Put the jack back in place, put the nut on and tighten, keeping the new jack from twisting.

That should take care of it. If you don't solder, you will need to either get a friend to do it that can solder, or go to a luthier. I would think GC could handle this and it should be quick enough that you can wait on it.

Best of luck!

Bob

3. jasper383

4. Bobster

Bobster

If the threaded section is long enough (they come in at least 2 sizes) that should work great.

Bob

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SkylineFiver

SkylineFiver

Make shure it really is the jack.

I have a 2002 55-02D and had exact same symptoms and swore it was the jack.

Turns out all three cords I was using (purchased at the same time) had shorts/opens of some kind.

New cord solved the problem.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Make sure it's not just the contacts on the jack being sprung and making poor contact.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Before you go buying a jack, be sure the current one is not touching the pot nearest to it in the cavity. Since I regularly service Laklands, I have seen numerous occasions where the tip contact of the jack just touches the case of the pot and that causes noise and cutting out. Usually you can rotate the jack a bit so they don't touch. I usually put a little electrical tape on the edge of the pot to avoid future problems.

9. jasper383

If it's the contacts that are sprung, how do I fix it? Can I just bend the contacts back to where they belong?