Lakland + Aguilar - Cab query.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RyanHutchison9, Apr 8, 2014.

1. RyanHutchison9

RyanHutchison9

So I've put the deposit on my Skyline Daryl Jones 4 in LPB which should be arriving within the next few weeks.

My issue is that I'm not well educated on heads and cabs so I was hoping somebody may be able to assist.

I've been looking at the TH500 as I think it will work well for the type of music I'm playing (QOTSA meets Incubus with a dash of Foo Fighters and Nirvana...) I've been looking at cab configurations and I'm nowhere closer to making a decision then when I started.

Ofcourse I'm going to try each configuration out for myself when I pick up the bass but I would love to hear other peoples thoughts.

I've been looking at getting either a single 4x10 (DB410) or two 2x10 (DB210). Would one 2x10 be enough initially until I move up to larger gigs?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
  2. MCB 5150

MCB 5150 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a TH500 and I just picked up a Bergantino CN212. I mainly use my Lakland 55-94 and I absolutely love my current setup. My band plays STP/Foo Fighter type stuff. I highly recommend the Berg CN212.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    The Berg CN212 is a fine cab. IMHO, two 210 DB10 cabs (stacked vertically when paired) would be a very flexible way to go. If you later acquire a 4 ohm DB410 (if they exist) and a 2 ohm capable head, you can run an 8 ohm 210 + a 4 ohm 410 for a modular 610. I have done this with an Epfani 8 ohm UL210, 4 ohm UL410 and Mesa M9.
  4. RyanHutchison9

RyanHutchison9

Would one 2x12 be sufficient atleast initially? My budget is pretty high but not that high. :rollno:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MCB 5150

MCB 5150 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I bet you'd be happy. I play with a loud guitarist (uses a half stack for rehearsal) and a semi-loud drummer. We rehearse in a large open room with concrete floors, and I can hear myself very clearly using my TH500 and Berg CN212. I've used that setup on one gig so far since I made the purchase, and it was the best I've EVER heard myself (clarity and tone).
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    For the money the Berg 212 costs I would want more cab. For a similar price I would be looking at a 215 that doesnt weigh much more, and will easily outperform the 212.

Similarly, for less scratch I personally would be looking at a greenboy Bassic 15. Would pair wonderfully with the TH500 and kick some major booty. It would also give you the option of adding a second cab down the road as your budget grows.
  8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yes. I use a CN212 for all kinds of gigs with my loud rock band, most without PA support, and it's always been plenty.
  9. RyanHutchison9

RyanHutchison9

I'm leaning towards the 2x12 but I have an issue.

I've been looking for the Bergantino CN212 and can't seem to find it locally (Australian) so I'm inching towards the DB212 as I'm also pretty sure I'll be going with the TH500 I think it will be a nice fit.

Another quick question... Will the 8OHM version of the DB212 have enough volume for hard rock (Without PA) as I think I would get another DB212 down the road if my band got larger gigs.

I really appreciate the help guys, fantastic forum! :bassist:
  10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The TH500 is surprisingly beefy at 8ohms, so you should be fine. I love my CN212 with the TH500 above anything else I've tried, but the DB12's would be my second choice. A bit heavy, but very nice sounding with the TH500.

FYI, with an 8ohm cab, you will see the TH500 clip light come on when you are really cranking. That is really nothing to worry about. It is a bit of a strange indicator design, since it is neither an input signal clip nor a power amp clip indicator. It is just telling you that the preamp is being pushed and clipping somewhere between the gain control and power amp. Aguilar's description of the clip light blinking at your hardest hits is that 'it lets you know you are rockin':)
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

PS Here is the Australian Berg dealer listed on the Berg site. If you can somehow try a CN212, you might really dig it. Very lightweight, very meaty sounding, and an almost perfect match for the TH500 (tight and bright to balance out the warm and fat). Nice sensitivity (loud per watt), and it can wump.

Australia

Sydney, Australia
    Tel. 02 9759 1311
    www.bassgeardirect.com.au
  12. RyanHutchison9

RyanHutchison9

Thanks for that, I'll check it out!