1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lakland, and Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woody357, Feb 6, 2014.

1. woody357

woody357

Are Lakland, and Sadowsky considered hi end basses? When I say hi end I mean like a Ken Smith, or Fodera.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

3. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Indeed. I have had both and prefer Sadowsky
  4. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

I have 3 Skyline models that I love but wouldn't put them in the "high end" category.
  5. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

If high end means High quality then Yes. Both brands in any of their models (overseas and US made) are high quality products, with Lakland offering cheaper options.
  6. woody357

woody357

I'm looking at making my last bass a hi end bass. I've been looking at Ken Smiths, and Fodrea, but I was also looking at the laklands, and Sadowsky. Right now I'm using a Ibanez SR 1206E, and MusicMan Bongo.
  7. MattyH

MattyH

American Lakland. The end.
  8. darrenmt

darrenmt

+1
  9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Both make great products. From a distance, they both seem to be making basses from a similar recipe. I've played the American P bass variants from both and found them to have surprisingly different personalities.

I don't own either yet, but I really like the Lakland 44-51 M. Are they high end? They are to me. I admire the craftsmanship of Foderas, Alembics and the like, but I have zero interest in owning one. They are a different style of instrument aimed at someone other than me.

For the record, I own American Fenders and an EBMM Stingray. If I were going to go to something more expensive, it would likely be a Lakland or a Fender Custom shop product.
  10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

You might also consider Nordstrand – another very high quality builder.
  11. woody357

woody357

@Matt, it's funny you should say that. My Ibanez has nordstrand pickups, big singles. I was thinking about changing the pre to a angular until I decided on a new bass
  12. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I think there's a certain beauty in the Sadowsky preamp that I have yet to hear in the Lakland models I've played.

Lonnybass
  13. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I just acquired Chef's VJ5. My buddy with a collection of Sadowsky, Lakland, and Fender Custom shop stuff is aching to see it!

I've only had it for a day, but I find the neck to be extremely comfy. I have practice tonight, so we'll see what she does with the PA.
  14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

I would say they are high-end, but NOT BOOHOOTIQUE!

Dan K.
  15. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Wheres the line here?. Both U.S. made Sadowsky and lakland basses are IME top of the line, high end, instruments. Beautiful finishes on these instruments. I have tried a good number of top end basses and for me Lakland and Sadosky are right up there.
  16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Sadowsky NYC are also made to order.
  17. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I'd consider that MM bongo to be high end as well.
  18. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

IMO to some degree "high-end" and "boutique" begin to distance themselves from each other when the price becomes disconnected from the reality of what you're actually buying.
  19. Bebo

Bebo

I have been a Lakland and Sadowsky user for 16 years. To me they are both very good instruments, with a similar origin, but very different sonic personalities. USA Laklands -mainly those with Bartolini electronics- are superb in their strong mid voicing, with for me at least, the best J like sound in the market. Sadowskys are very reliable, have insuperable tone and are perfectly made. Their fat but flexible sounds are an industry standard now, I believe. I think both the Lakland 5594 and the Sadowsky Will Lee V are modern classics already.
  20. leroy diamond

leroy diamond