Lakland Darryl jones skyline vs 44-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drienvyftigcent, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

Im going to buy one of these basses but I'm still not sure which one would suit me better. I'm primarily looking for an aggressive jazz tone, punchy and growly and all that but I kinda also want to be able to get a pretty close presicion tone. So versatility, playability and a nice thin, fast neck are important for me. The dj has lakland pickups, so not the aeros.
    What do you guys think about this?

2. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

I owned a DJ4 (with Aero's) and also tested out a few 44-02's before buying it. That was the best J-bass I ever played. I still regret getting rid of it. If I were to be in the market for a J-bass that plays and sounds punchy I would definitely go with another DJ. The 44-02 is more like a swiss army knife. A lot of tonal options with the MM/J configuration and MM toggle switch, but lacked the "spank" that DJ had. You can even add the J-retro later for more tonal options.

3. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

Hmm, it's a hard decision. I only have one bass at a time and this is probably the last one i buy. I really want a that jazz tone but the 44-02 is sooo much more versatile. I can get about every tone with the 44-02 but just not a jazz tone as good as with the dj.

4. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

I have both. If I had to pick one (I'm a J bass kind of guy) I'd pick the DJ naturally. They are both very different IMO. My 44-02 is very 'polite'. Great for recording and stuff but I never feel like it's very 'growly'.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

7. pedroims

pedroims

I have owned both, DJ is my favorite jazz bass specially with the j retro. I currently have a 44-94 with norstrand pickups and love it, as other mentioned, the 4402 has several useful tones, it can emulate a jazz, precision and stingray very well. I cant suggest any in particular other than try both, in fact, I am planning to buy a DJ next year.

8. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Disclosures:
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor, Lakland
    Here is my experience - versatility in a bass can be overrated. My 5502 was nice, but it had no real identity. Kinda sounded like a MM, kinda like a J..I don't know, it just didn't have that character that translated on a recording.

I much prefer the passive Lakland J and P. More character. The J has versatility within it's tonal boundaries as well since you have the 2 pickups with volume knobs plus the tone knob.

9. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

What i'm kind of worried about is that the dj is also going to sound polite like you guys are saying about the 44-02 because it doesnt have (unfortunately) the aero pickups, but the laklands. I cannot switch them because I can't spend anymore money and I think most people speaking about the dj have the more aggressive aeros so that's a pain. The neck pickup soloed also doesn't really sound as good as the one on the 44-02. I still think i'll go with the dj however, but im not sure yet.

10. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Disclosures:
    The 4402 is a hum bucking neck though. Its a music man sound if you solo that.

11. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

don't you mean the bridge pickup? i've heard it with the neck soloed and it sounded pretty good.

12. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Don't know if this will help but...

I have both (actually, a JO and a 44-02 so same idea) and couldn't imagine giving up either one; they both have unique, useful qualities. I favor the 44-02 for recording because of the versatility and because it seems to record really well in general. For live work, I much prefer the JO; it sits better in a live mix for me. If I *had* to keep only one, it would be the JO.

Something else to consider though, you mention "thin fast neck"; that's not really the DJ. The DJ neck is chunkier than the JO or 44-02. So maybe a JO is what you really want.

/rick

13. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

Well i just play in my bedroom so live and recording situations for me are no problem. However, im reading now that the dj skylines have a 10 inch radius just like the osborns.

14. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

I assumed the neck depth was a concern when you said thin and fast. Although in looking at the current specs it looks like the DJ neck is currently spec'd a little shallower/wider than the 44-60 (JO). Don't know if they've changed things or what. Every DJ I've ever played felt narrower/thicker than every JO I've ever played.

:confused:

15. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Disclosures:
    yes, sorry meant bridge.

16. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

Wait, so what indicates the neck depth/thickness then? I'm confused now lol, according to the specs im seeing the dj nut width is 1.5, the 44-02 is 1.6 so the dj is a slimmer neck. and both fingerboard radius(s?)es are 10''. So you're saying the neck is thicker on the dj ? and where can i see that in the specs? sorry my english isn't great and im not really a technical guy lol.

17. StrangerDanger

It's in the specs. The depth of the neck at the 12th fret.

18. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

What I hope to achieve with the 44-02, if i buy it, is a pretty close jazz bass sound(along with many other tones of course). However, the guy said that the humbucker pickup is wired in series which would sound closer to a Music Man than standard wiring, it's done by a luthier. Now, I'm afraid that with this everything is going to sounds drastically different, especially if i want to get a jazz sound and I put on both pickups with the humbucker panned on the back single coil. What do you guys think about this?

19. StrangerDanger

It sounds like a jazz bass when not in HB mode. You have nothing to worry about.

20. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Disclosures:
    For just the bedroom you will be fine with this bass. I am lot pickier since it is my job and it does not sound like a jazz bass enough to my ears.

But for casual play - go for it. It is a great bass.

21. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I have a DJ5 and a 55-02. Both are simply awesome instruments. The DJ has a vintage tone with the 60's pickup spacing. The single coil Hanson pickups are awesome.

My 55-02 has the LH3 preamp and the Hanson humbucking pickups. The 55-02 is a brighter and more modern sounding, but you can tweak the EQ and get about any tone you'd like.

In terms of versatility, I'd say go for the 02, but if you want the old school tone, go DJ.