1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lakland DJ5 P/J setup and an East DJ Retro

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nervous, Dec 4, 2013.

1. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

I have a quick question regarding my Lakland DJ5 with an East DJ Retro in which I am trying to go from the normal J/J configuration to a P/J configuration. The DJ Retro in conjunction with the stock Lakland/Hanson pickups works just beautifully and I wish I could leave well enough alone. And perhaps after this last attempt to go P/J I will.

Tonight I installed a set of Nordstrand NP5 pickups in the P position and the issue I am having is that it seems with the blend pot either full P or full J I have the correct output. What is odd is that when I pan from center to bridge J there is a significant dropping out or 'choking' if you will of the output from just off center to almost full bridge where the output then comes back. Not at all the way it worked in the J/J setup.

Both pickups are wired white + and black - . Is it a possible phase issue? I will try switching one of them by reversing their colors at the board connection. Which one would be preferred I don't know. I guess it's easy enough to try both but I hope it would do no damage to the pre. I had read somewhere previously that some Laklands came wired with one pickup reversed wired, perhaps for this reason?

Thoughts?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

I'll bet if you swap the black and white wires on just one of the pickups, you'll be good to go. Sometimes different manufacturers build them opposite.
  3. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Yup. I did and it did. Happy to say. Swapped the NP5. Thank you