lakland? hmmm

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ILLINOX, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

i dont want to insult anyone in here, but i'm really curious; why a Lakland bass?

I've seen a lot of Lakland pride, which drove me to look at their website and I just don't get it; i see that they copy a lot of fender styles and use cheap bridges. is it all in their pickups and their ability to carve a nice neck?

thanks

2. Marton

Marton

You haven't played one, right ?

And, by the way, cheap bridges ? What are you talking about ?

3. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Supporting Member

I'll go get the popcorn started.

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Who fed the trolls? Come on man, before you slam ANY bass, PLAY ONE. Decide for yourself after playing one whether or not you like it. Have you played a Lakland before... US-made or Skyline? Have you picked up and inspected a Lakland bridge with it off the bass? They're pretty stout, and I've never had an issue intonating any of my Laklands, and I can count on one hand the times they have needed adjustment after an initial setup.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but these types of posts will do NOTHING toward fostering a constructive discussion.

Carry on...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

+1

Go play one, then come back and start a thread. Anything but cheap.

7. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the OP probably hasn't played that many different basses in his time as a bass player. Which is why I'm not going to bite beyond saying:

a) The bridges aren't cheap, and

b) Get your butt to a music store.

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Yeah!!! This will go well.....

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Go play one and report back. There is nothing cheap about them at all.

10. shoot-r

shoot-r

Lakland builds a "great" instrument.....

Are they worth their price compaired to other manufacturers instruments?

ONLY the player's ears and hands can decide.

Go out and audition a few and see if their above average fit and finish and attention to detail is for you.

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Can you explain this?

12. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

Wow, just how many misconceptions can you pack into one post? VBG!

Their "fender-style" basses are all a significant upgrade from Fender. I use a 55-94, which is a combination of the best features of a J-Bass and a Stingray and is one of the most versatile basses I have ever used (and my wife says I've used too many!). The production values are extremely high (even on the Skylines) and the hardware is NOT cheap feeling or in use. THey used ultra-light tuners on the neck and the bridge is solid and works well.

Maybe you should actually play something, rather than just using your "internet expertise." If you are in the San Diego area, you can try mine.

Dan K.

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Poorly worded, but a fair question. If you've only seen pictures, they look like just another Fender clone. The bridge is basically the same bent metal plate that people complain about on Fender basses. Even Fender has largely moved away from it. (In both cases, it is a fine bridge with very vocal critics.)

This isn't a troll thread, just an uninformed poster.

I own two Laklands.

14. xroads

xroads

I don't want to insult you - you seem to be a real expert on judging the quality of a bass.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Lakalnds are some of the best built basses in the industry and the bridge materials are pretty much the same materiel used in a very large % of the basses on the market today.

Sound and feel is very subjective but again Lakland is one of the best constructed bass today.

Please with all due respect do not take my word for it, just play a few different models and when you do, spend some time going over them with a fine tooth comb. And at least see if you can get it set up to your preference At the end of the trial you might not like it but you will have had the chance to check the Lakland brand out hands on.

Lakland endorser.

16. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

+1000

17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

To actually answer the OP's question,yes, it is ALL in their ability to "carve a neck.". They are hard to beat. It is absolutely NOT about the pickups. I have gutted and replaced the electronics in both of mine. I absolutely hated the Hanson pickups in my 4460. To me, it sounded like some other kind of instrument - not a bass. I found the old Barts to be okay, and the LH3 system to be passable.

Others feel differently about the electronics and pickups. Good tone is a very opinion based subject.

18. jlepre

jlepre

Troll, nothing to see here

19. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Go play one and report back. In my opinion.....the best necks in the business and that includes the Skylines! Cheap bridges? Really??

21. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I can remember when You could get a USA Lakland 5 string for the same $$ as a Sadowsky Metro or at least very close. I played the USA and the Metro side by side for about 4 hours at Guitar Villa in Bethlehem, PA. I finally went with the Metro but only for one reason. The Sadowsky was a bit clearer and articulate. I wanted to hear every note when I was playing very fast finger style. Now the USA Laklands are a lot higher in price. I've played the Skylines alot and I'm not impressed. I'd much rather get a Marcus Miller Fender 5 MIJ for about the same $$ as a Skyline. Best Bang for the buck IMO is MY Rick 4003 but I could really use a 5th string every now and then. As for bridges, I love thinner "Bent Plate" Bridges. IMO the heavy High Mass bridges change the tone too much. But that is entirely a matter of opinion and taste.