1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lakland Hollow body or Fender Coronado II bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmoney61092, Aug 10, 2013.

1. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

so recently I got a Lakland Skyline Hollow body with Chis in it and love it, it's my first hollow body bass and sounds incredible, but I've always dreamed of owning a Fender Coronado II bass and the 30" scale of the Fender attracts me. can anyway compare the 2 in terms of sound? also does anyone think this would be a fair trade? the Lakland is mint and has a factory installed pearloid pickguard. thanks!

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Wait for the new Coronado II that will be realeased "soon".
    Until then, enjoy the Lakland.
    Who knows, maybe you even change your mind and decide to keep the Lakland.

3. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

I'm a Fender guy and always have been, but when it comes to hollowbodies, not so much. The Coronado II was sorta Fender's first flop in the bass world. They never sold very well and "good" tone is not really something they are known for. I think you will be disappointed if you traded your Lakland for it. Just my opinion.. but if you were going to trade the Lak for a vintage short scale HB, I'd get a Hofner.

4. Avezzano

Avezzano

until we'll check with our own hands/ears/eyes we cannot tell anything (Coronado). Furthermore I dare to think is not useful to compare a 2013 axe with a '66-'71 bass!!! Today's technologies will sure deliver a beautiful instrument to us. I am sure. Hopefully...

;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doctor J

Doctor J

The Lakland Hollowbody is a highly regarded and commercially successful model, the Coronado was not. This is an age where nostalgia=cash but all the rose-tinting you want isn't going to suck the flaws out of the Coronado design. Know a good thing when you've already got it.

7. Avezzano

Avezzano

1962 and 2013: apples and oranges

8. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

Trust me I love the Lakland! This is just one of those things where if I traded and didn't like Coronado then I'd sell it and buy another Lakland. But I've read a bunch of people love it and a bunch hate it so I guess I was curious what made it so bad? I've seen where a few touring musicians have started using them, saw a pic of Michael Shuman of Queens of the Stone Age using one live and several pics of his other band(Mini Mansions)'s bassist and Shuman using it. I guess it's one of those things that I won't know till I try one! Still want to hear all opinions!

9. woodyng

woodyng

Well,it sounds to me like what you really should check out is the new Lakland short scale hollowbody! I played a Coronado 2 at my local pawnshop last year,and while i thought it was cool from a vintage mojo point of view,i didn't think it was a bass that i would ultimately find all that useful,or play that much. I've owned and played a bunch of HB basses,and found the Lakland to be about the best sounding one out there. (High marks for the Italia Rimini,too,if you don't mind humongous frets). My hb jones is currently being fed by a fretted Carvin AC50,and a fretless ac40.

10. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

The Coronado II is a very peculiar bass, and very "un-fender-ish", for being a Fender. They do sound cool, but have that vintage "plock" to it. The Lakland is a bit more allround and modern (it sounds like a hollowbody, but not to that extent that a coronado sounds like a hollow body).

Apart from that: playability on the coro is top notch, really EVERYTHING works on that thing:

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Sounds like you got the long scale Lakland Hollowbody. You should check out the Lakland Hollowbody 30, it's a short scale (30") and it rocks.

12. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

Totally forgot about the new 30" Laklands! I would love to try one but sadly I live in the most dead area for instrument stores(I live just north of Greensboro, NC so if anyone knows any good stores then point me in that direction!!!)

I'm a big fan of vintage instruments, I own a few pre-war acoustics, '82 Victiry Artist, use to own one of the original Ibanez Iceman basses, the Lakland is actually the first "'new bass" I've had and even it's a 2003. So I think my attraction to vintage instruments has drawn me to the Coronado and the acceptance that I'll never own an EB-2 :/

13. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

oh god, I love that tone!

14. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

Keep in mind I'm using flatwound strings here that probably were made around the time Fort Sumter was attacked. With roundwounds they have a much more biting, clangy sound, and they do lack some low-end.

Oh, and for your EB2-GAS, well... They are actually cheaper than a coronado II... And they are awesome!

15. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

Love the tone of both of those also! If you want to trade either the Coronados or the EB-2 for my Lakland then let me know!!!