Lakland Hollowbody: Short vs. Long - opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jan 3, 2014.

?

The long and the short of it: Which Lakland Hollowbody?

1. Lakland Skyline Hollowbody 30 (30" short scale)

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Lakland Skyline Hollowbody (34" long scale)

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Carrots?

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking at a couple Lakland Hollowbodys to scratch the hollowbody itch I've had lately. I'm looking at Lakland because they are the only manufacturer that seems to offer a hollowbody without a painted neck. And I just don't like the look of painted necks. The other thing is, I want a fully hollow body and I think Lakland is the only company that makes a fully hollow bass without a body the size of an acoustic guitar.

I'm looking at Skylines exclusively because I can't justify the expense of a USA Lakland. I told myself I'd stick with 6 basses, max, and would be # 7... :help:

Anyway, looking at a tobacco sunburst Lakland Skyline Hollowbody 30 (30" scale) vs. a couple (one candy apple red, one sunburst) long-scale Lakland Skyline Hollowbody (34" scale). Both are used, made in Korea. Either of the longscales would set me back around $1000 and the shorty about $700. The $300 price difference is a big deal to me as I will have some 'splainin' to do if I drop $1000 on "extra" bass # 7 (baker's half dozen? :D:bassist:)

The shorty has two single coil Chi Sonics. The longscale ones each have Barts with coil taps. (I'm looking at a few older used Korean longscales, the newer Indonesian ones have Chi Sonic singles.)

I'm pretty tall...somewhere between 6'2" and 6'3" with long arms and big hands. I feel comfortable on 34" scale basses and also own a 35" USA Peavey Millennium - honestly I don't even notice the extra inch. I briefly owned a 32" Aria and it felt a little short but I could play it. Never tried a 30". I've tried guitars before, though I've never been a guitar player and find it nearly impossible to make this giant hands crunch into chord positions. Guitars feel weird on me, but maybe that's just because they are guitars.

I really want to try the shortscale one but there just aren't really any Laklands in stores around here. I guess I could bite the bullet and go with the return policy if I don't like it. I'm sure I'll dig the longscale because it's more what I am used to but also more expensive.

Both basses sound VERY nice from the Youtube clips I've heard...

Opinions from those who have played both basses? Particularly people my size or close to it?
    Thanks!
    :D
  2. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Voted short scale as I am gasing for kiddie bass myself.
  3. TimBosby

Hahah. Might be easier to play those high parts. Just don't want to crumple up my gorilla arms too much.
  4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

You might want to hit up Markus. He has both.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TimBosby

Good call. I shot him a PM.

Leaning toward the shorty at this point... it's less expensive and allows me to have something doubly unique (shortscale AND fully hollowbodied) in my inventory.
  7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

I may be biased, but I don't really dig the look of the 30", mostly the body. As you know, the long scale Lakland HBs sound killer...
  8. TimBosby

I had that same thought at first but it grew on me, especially after hearing the NAMM sound clips on Youtube. I am still thinking about yours, Jeff. Hopefully someone snags it soon to make this a little easier for me. Though there is one at Guitar Center, too, used, sunburst w/ Barts.
  9. TimBosby

Markus says both are great. He also mentioned being about my size and has no problems playing the shorty. Hmm... G.A.S.!! :help:
  10. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

They're different enough that one could be bass #7 and the other #8.
  11. drnknmstr

drnknmstr

I have the long scale. Oldest bass I own, which says a lot.

It's WAY sick and surprisingly versatile. The Barts really sound great and don't need any improving.

Here's a clip with it. La Bella flats.

https://soundcloud.com/briandukesong/09-09-jericho
  12. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Markus Orange loves you. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Graphic Designer: Lakland, Hanson Guitars, and Wilkins Guitars
    Yeah...both great basses!
  13. petch

petch Supporting Member

Perhaps a photo will help... ;)

[​IMG]
  14. TimBosby

Petch, that trans red one is gorgeous.

I just ordered the shorty however. The $250+ price difference ended up being a deal breaker, plus I want to try out a shorty. If I don't like it, I'll return it or re-sell it. It was a great deal. These Lakland Hollowbody 30s seem to be really rare. They were new in early 2013 but they are not on Lakland's website and I can't find much online about them at all.
  15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

All I can say is, that after MANY many years of hemming and hawing I just got a HoBo (full scale) and LOVE it.....

I have played a couple of the short scale but cannot get comfortable with the neck....still....I liked the sound of the shorty very much....
  16. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

let us know what you think.....like you said, if you do not like it, you should be able to turn it quickly.
  17. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

I picked up a 34" Korean-made hollowbody with the Bartolinis last year and it will never leave my possession.

Edit: See you bought the shorty. That bass seems very cool too. Let us know your impressions!
  18. petch

petch Supporting Member

The shorty looks way cool also! We look forward to your review Tim. :)
  19. TimBosby

Well, the shorty arrived last night. Unfortunately, it's too small for me. It sounds killer and looks amazing. I wish they made one with this same exact appearance and shape in the 34" size. Oh well. It's for sale: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/...ody-30-short-scale-beauty-only-7-lbs-1045252/
    And if it doesn't sell, I'll return it to BassNW (I have 72 hours.) Once it's gone I may buy a 34" scale Skyline Hollowbody, we'll see.
  20. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Tim, I think you'd really like the 34" hollowbody.
  21. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    PM sent about possible trade.