Lakland Japan Skyline Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 555, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 555

Hi everyone!

I'm after a Lakland bass but without wanting to spend loads on a US made one or even the Japanese Shoreline ones. The Indonesian made Skylines look great but I pretty much like sticking to Japanese made basses because of their affordable Japanese built price (personally choice here really)

I was looking at the ESP Japan website and came across this new Lakland Japan Skyline series which really interests me:

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/lakland/skyline/index.html

I was just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this new range if they are made in Japan?

I did some digging around around Google and found some people have asked the same question and most of the time responses have been "Yes it is Japanese built" but it really doesn't say anywhere on the bass (I've looked at pictures) where it says "Made in Japan". I found these pictures that this Japan Skyline series comes with a Lakland certificate:

http://www.blevel.hk/forum/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=6312###

Any has played one of these? I'm aware these do not have:

- Graphite reinforced truss rod (Doesn't bother me)
    - Lakland pickups or Lakland pre-amp (Can be changed)
    - Alder body instead of Swamp ash (Great! I love the tone of Alder!)

Thanks in advance all!
  2. SylentJ

SylentJ

I purchased a second hand Cherry Sunburst SK-4DX late last year when I was in Japan. From the moment I played it in store I knew I had to have it. Incredible finger style tone, and very versatile. The Japanese second hand market is wonderful, lots of really good stuff, super cheap.

The preamp and pickups are different to the non-Japanese models, but as I said, still sound amazing. One thing to note though, is that there are not internal mid range controls.

I know how hard it is to dig up info on these, so I'm willing to help in anyway I can. But as far as I am aware these are made in Japan specifically for the Japanese market. I'll double check next time I get a chance as I'm away for a week or so. Once I'm home I could possibly also record a few sound clips for you, if you wish.
  3. 555

Thanks for the help SylentJ! :)

Yes, the used market has some real exciting stuff in Japan! I been looking around the Ikebe-Gakki website and their used basses inventory is amazing!

Ah! Thanks for the heads up on the internal mid-range change :) Not a biggy so not worried about that. I owned a Skyline in the past before and didn't really fiddle with the internal mid range at all.

How do you know the Skyline Japan series is made in Japan? Did the staff tell you in Japan? It really isn't confirmed anywhere :meh: I'm assuming you got a Japanese written Lakland certificate of authentication if I'm correct? Looks like it's been checked in Japan (from the pictures of the link I sent above)
  4. pedroims

pedroims

I did not know Lakland has basses made in Japan.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 555

7. SylentJ

SylentJ

No worries, happy to help.

Unlike the bass in the thread you posted, mine says 'Skyline Japan Series' instead of just 'Skyline Series'.

I don't recall if Made In Japan was printed on the bass anywhere else, or getting a Lakland certificate of authentication, but being as I purchased it second hand, I wouldn't be suprised. I'll double check this as soon as I get home and let you know for sure.
  8. 555

Ah! That's another difference then. On the ESP lakland website the headstock says "Skyline Series" (It's quite faint but i can see there's only 2 words) but I just browsed some pictures on some Japanese websites and some say "Skyline Japan Series" Probably the more newer Skyline SK's say "Skyline Series".

Did you swap out the Duncan Designed pups and preamp?
  9. SylentJ

SylentJ

Nah, I left the pickups and preamp as is for now. To my ear it sounds amazing already, I'm not so sure swapping them out would be worth it, at least for me. Of course, YMMV.
  10. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

304,500.00 Japanese Yen = 3,284.44 U.S. Dollars

crazy expensive!
  11. oboylebass

oboylebass

Do these non-Indo non-Korean Laklands go to the Lakland shop in Chicago, USA for final fretwork, pickups, setup, inspection etc.? Somethin' to consider...
  12. dje31

dje31

That SK-4DX = Skyline 44-02 Deluxe (mostly), and comes in Translucent Blue, for what would be $1359 US (126,000 Yen). Sold! And yes, it's alder instead of ash, and doesn't have the Lakland pickups or preamp..still...

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/lakland/skyline/4dx/index.html

Or just make the US / domestic Skyline 44-02 available in the Tran Blue! PLEASE!
  13. 555

Lakland Japan (ESP) and Lakland US are two different managements. I'm guessing Lakland US sold the rights to ESP to allow them to produce Lakland basses only for the Japanese market so the setup, finishing etc. is only inspected in Japan.

I got this Q&A from the Lakland owners club:

"Q: Dear Dan I just heard there is a Shoreline Series that offers more color options but they are only available over seas? True? Do they still go thru your shop?

A: I don't know any details on the shoreline series. They are only sold in Japan. They do not go through our shop."

Source: http://www.laklandowners.com/joomla...ine-series&catid=38:ask-dan-or-carl&Itemid=85
  14. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Great looking bass!
    I have heard many great things about the Shoreline series ( as they are called,) but never played one.

As far as I know ESP does 100% of the work in Japan.
  16. HesslerGerard

HesslerGerard

I just received my Tetsuya sig. It's lighter than my Fender 4 string jazz. Sounds killer too!

Here she is.

[​IMG]
  17. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Nice bass man!
  18. HeloBubba

HeloBubba

19. Wallace320

Wallace320

honestly

but you know what?

Strange things happen on ESP Japan site/offering... look at Edwards, out of curiosity.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  20. BoHanson

BoHanson

The Lakland Skyline Japan series bass is a Lakland licensed instrument built in China exclusively as an affordable bass for the Japanese market. ESP markets and distributes them in Japan, and there are no plans to sell them in the United States at this time.
    Bo Pirruccello, Lakland USA