Lakland neck swap completed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringthumpin, Feb 24, 2014.

1. 5stringthumpin

5stringthumpin Supporting Member

Laklands can be fickle I learned, but with the right luthier, we can build it better...

I have a beautiful Lakland 55-02 with a quilt maple tobacco stained top, plays like butter. Only one issue...it had a rosewood fretboard. No issues with the fretboard, I just liked the idea of a maple one better. So, a purchase from TLJordan later, and I had myself a 55-01 complete with maple neck. Let the swap begin right?

Sort of. Although both necks are supposed to be the same spec, and they are, the 55-02 was built in Indonesia (which doesn't bother me, it sounds killer), and the 55-01 was an older Korean made model (also great sounding). As we know, same specs from different factories can add up to surprises. The maple neck swapped to the Indonesian body like butter...tobacco burst with a maple neck...gorgeous. The rosewood to the natural 55-01? Not so much. The pocket shapes were on the point but the holes in the neck were about a millimeter or two off. Bolting the neck scewed it off to the right.

My guitarist Jeff Lakata is an accomplished luthier. Builds alot of his own guitars and makes all kinds of repairs and mods. So long story short (too late), he drilled out the holes in the neck and filled them in with hardwood dowels, then sanded the whole thing down. At that point he was able to mark and drill new holes into the neck and mount it flush and clean.

He sent me finish pics and I'm picking them up today. I can't wait to play them, he says they both have low to medium action and just sing. Here are some pics of the work. Anyone in the Jersey area looking for a good luthier at decent prices, look him up on Facebook, he's accepting customers. Cheers all.

2. 5stringthumpin

3. 5stringthumpin

4. 5stringthumpin

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 5stringthumpin

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393248032.663155.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393248055.629541.jpg

There you have it. The pics were staged for clarity, while the work was being done the neck was taped and wrapped to prevent scratching. I'll let you guys know how they play.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Nice! I loves Lakie 5ers! Happy thumpin'.

8. 5stringthumpin

They play great!! As expected, the 55-02 I'd a bit brighter with the maple fretboard and the 55-01 now has a slightly scooped mid sound naturally with the rosewood. I was going to sell the 55-01 here, but because of the work that was done to get it to fit, and the beautiful sounds it makes, it's staying with me for now. :)

9. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Excellent...congrats

11. 5stringthumpin

55-01 is now for sale in the classified section, only 475! check it out!