Lakland owners...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birminghambass, Dec 20, 2013.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Question for you guys with a 4402 or other model with the same pickup configuration: anybody swapped out the pickups for something more Stingray-ish? Did you like the change?
    I briefly owned one but didn't care for the tone. Not enough punch and bite. Thinking about picking up another and going full Nord or Delano.
  2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Did yours have the Barts?

The LH3 system has quite a bit of punch and bite IMHO....
  3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

It had the LH3 system. Thick in the mids but lacked bite in the highs.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Exactly the reason I replaced the Lakland pickups with Barts. Got my punch and bite back. The Barts are much cleaner and clearer than the Laklands.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mcnach

mcnach

More Stingrayish?
    The MM pickup is not at the right position for it to sound Stingrayish, so... it's a bit of an impossible quest to try to make it sound like a Stingray.

I own a 55-02, with the LH-3 preamp. I get closest to a Stingray type of sound with the MM in single coil mode, using the coil closest to the neck, and with the mids control set to 600Hz centre frequency (I tried other positions but only the 550 and 600 get the "bark" for me). Then I turn up bass moderately, leave the treble at the centre detent, and turn up mids a tiny bit.
    It still does not sound like a Stingray, but it has a *bit* of what I love about Stingrays.