1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lakland Skyline 55-01 with Nordstrand DC pickups and USA Bartolini Electronics

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by groovaholic, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groovaholic

groovaholic Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I bought this bass back in January after I’d had to sell my prized Dingwall and felt the need for another 5-string bass.
    It’s gotten minimal use since January due to my trouble finding a band.

When I got it, the neck had a TINY amount of twist – so I ordered a replacement neck from Lakland.
    They offered me a great deal on a “blem” neck– the “blem” is just a curved runout of the fretboard onto the headstock (pictured) – if I hadn’t been looking for that, I would have never noticed it.

The new neck has been Plek’ed and allows for ridiculously low action, which makes the bass feel exceptionally “fast”.

There are megathreads on the Lakland Skyline 55-01 being a fantastic foundation for modding, and this bass is proof of why.
    The consensus weak-link in the 55-01 basses is the electronics package.
    This bass completely DESTROYS that shortcoming with a massive sounding pair of Nordstrand DC dual-coil pickups and a USA Bartolini NTMB-18 18-volt 3-band active EQ.

Making the bass even MORE flexible are individual 3-way coil taps for each pickup, allowing selection of series/single-coil/and parallel from each pickup.
    Combined with the blend pot, I’ve never even needed the active EQ – it’s an all-tones in one bass.
    If you’re skeptical, I’d be happy to email MP3s to you.

This bass sounds simply fantastic, and if I wasn’t such a Dingwall die-hard I would keep it.
    Actually, there’s a good chance that I might modify my Dingwall to have a similar electronics scheme as this bass.

The bass is in great shape with mild player wear on the body – the neck is still like new.
    The only exception is 2 parallel lines up by the front strap button (pictured) which I believe came from the bass being set on top of an allen wrench on my workbench….

The bass will ship in a molded Gator hardshell case with a set of Schaller straplocks, and the allen wrenches for adjusting the truss rod and the bridge.

Used Skyline 55-01s seem to go in the $600 range here, and there’s another $400 invested in the electronics, and another $100 in the case.

I think $900 shipped in the 48-states is fair, but will entertain offers.

No trades; I’m selling this to pay off a Dingwall that I just bought.

Attached Files:

2. groovaholic

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Here are some more pics of the bass.

These show the "blem" end of the fretboard on the headstock and the parallel marks made by the allen wrench.

Attached Files:

3. groovaholic

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Here's the front of the bass, and a pic of the electronics cavity, showing off the USA Bartolini preamp.

Attached Files:

4. groovaholic

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Here's a closeup of the Nordstrand DC (Dual Coil) pickups, and the back of the body (surfer girl sticker is removable)

Attached Files:

5. DrewFolkadelics

DrewFolkadelics Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Bump for a great TB'er and a beautiful Lakland!
  6. rigorous bass

rigorous bass

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

7. groovaholic

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

A couple people have asked what this bass weighs.

So tonight after i get home from work, I'll weigh myself with and without the bass, then post the number here.
  8. groovaholic

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

9.0 lbs according to my bathroom scale.
  9. groovaholic

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

The bass is a great player and a tone-monster!
  10. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I wsh I could...the pair of 3 way switches is a mod I've thought about for my Peavey T40. That mod alone must make a huge difference!!

GLWTS and if I manage to sell all 3 of my basses in short order, I MIGHT have the cash to at least make a credible offer.
  11. groovaholic

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

The 3-way switches and the blend pot allow access to just about any tone.

It's a great setup...
  12. groovaholic

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Getting some credible bites -- if you're interested, let me know!
  13. groovaholic

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.