1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lakland Skyline 55-02 String Recommendations Needed.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DPG003, Dec 8, 2011.

1. DPG003

DPG003

I just bought a 55-02 from a fellow TB'er and was wondering if any 55-02 owners could chime in with some string recommendations.

I have the one equipped with the Bartolini pups and preamp. I play mainly with a pick (working on my fingerstyle) No slapping. playing style is everything from Praise & Worship to Toby Mac to Skillet. I'm running through 2 Genz Benz Neox 112's and an Ampeg PF500 head.

I would also like to know if there is a noticeable difference when the strings are strung through the body as opposed to through the bridge on this particular bass. The strings that came on it are strung through the bridge.

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I like carvin med nickels and Dunlop nickels. I play finger/slap style. As for the strings thru the body or not, I couldn't tell you the difference.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Hard to beat DR Sunbeams.

4. Scott McArron

Scott McArron

Dunlop nickels are good if u r on a budget. They dull pretty quickly, though, IME. The DR Sunbeams I've got on mine now are pretty decent, too, but more expensive. I may try Sadowsky nickels soon, also.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    Hard to beat DR fatbeams. I also like the black beauties on that bass too.

7. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

I like DR lo-riders, Sadowsky bright nickel, and the lakland steels on the 55-01 and 55-02 I have owned.

8. DPG003

DPG003

Hey, thanks for the recommendations. How about stringing through the bridge or through the body. Any advantage to either one, better tone, etc?

9. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    Idk, sometimes I think I can hear difference. I would try it one way one time and then try it another way next time and see if you can tell. That being said, I usually go through the body unless the strings don't allow it.

10. DPG003

DPG003

I'm assuming if I decide to go through the body on this 35" scale bass my string choices will be limited. Are the DR sets long enough? Thanks

11. murphy

murphy

DR strings HI Beams....They rock Laklands........B through the body and the rest through bridge or body

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

congrats!

if you go through the body MAKE SURE to get extra long strings or they won't work....Skylines now come with D'addario strings which sound pretty good in my opinion....

13. tbss454

tbss454

I use Elixir coated nickels, they sound amazing. They make an extra long scale set if you want to string through the body. Not cheap, but they last FOREVER. My current set has been on since July and they sound the same as day 1.

14. CElton

CElton Supporting Member

For nickel, I recommend D'addario. Make sure you get the SL(super long).

For steel, I recommend DR Hi Beams or Fat Beams.

15. wickedmrrogers

wickedmrrogers

I also just picked up a Lakland 55-02 and I'm having an issue finding strings as well. I like to use flats and string them through the body. My options are somewhat limited at the stores down here as GC carries no sets of flatwound 5's and the local boutique shop has D'Addario's which i don't mind, but unfortunately they aren't long enough to string through the body. In the past I've picked up some Labella flats from online that I really enjoy, but I've used them on regular scale basses (5 string Fender P-Bass & OLP Music Man) and I'm not sure they are long enough for the Lakland. I just went to the Lakland website and placed an order for their set of flatwound 5's which im assuming will be long enough. I'll let you guys know how they are when I get them...in the meantime, anybody here have any feedback on the Lakland strings?

16. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
  17. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Any DR's will fit.

18. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

The Lakland brand strings are some of the best IMO. Their house brand strings were designed for the extra length required for the string-thru-body. Plus they have the tapered B string. Which again, designed for their basses. Also, they sound great. I thought the Lakland house brand were made by GHS. I have gone round and round with string choices. Again, I love the Lakland house brand. The only downside is you need to order....just can't go to a store and pick em' up. With that, you might want to oder a pair. I put a fresh set on my bass. And I keep the second set in my bag. When the back-up set gets installed, I order another set (or pair). This way, I always have a set on-hand. FWIW, I use their med. stainless. I have been using them for years and swear by them.

Lakland Direct: 5 String Sets - $25 for stainless or nickel 5 string set....$40 for 5 string flats

19. g4string

Yep, see my post above this one. Their strings are excellent. I've been using their stainless strings on my 5594 years. There the best I have found. I wouldn't buy anything else.

20. joel the bass player

joel the bass player

I like the Lakland strings, but I always forget to order them and then end up just running to the music store and getting some DR Long Neck strings. They are on my main 55-02 right now and I like them quite a bit.

21. g4string

The only problem with changing string brands is when your bass is set-up, it is set-up for the action/relief with XYZ brand strings on it. Changing strings mid set-up could affect the action of your bass as some strings have more/less tension than other brands. Plus, the gauge could affect the action. Also, the tapered B string on the Lakland will most def change the action of your setup if you switch brands and use a non-tapered B string. Just saying.....it's wise to stick to the same gauge and brand. If you change gauge/brands....adjust your set-up.