1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lakland Skyline DJ5 2012 w J retro preamp (original passive harness included)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bassman10096, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassman10096

bassman10096

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

$1200 shipped within CONUS. Now includes gig bag.

Bought new from Bass Central in October. It’s just gorgeous. It’s only left the house twice and been babied. No scratches or dings that I can find – like new.

Wife lost her job and I lost my steady gig, and big bills to pay, so she (the bass, not wife) has to go. This is the new model DJ5 (Indonesia, if you care) in pearl white with the pearloid guard and maple fingerboard bound with pearloid blocks. The pickups are the newer Lakland vintage single coils. I really like them – warm tone with plenty of pep and easy to motor between smooth and moderately growly. Also quiet (easily quiet enough for an active preamp).

The J retro pre (DJ model) was installed at Bass Central and adds an incredible amount to the tonal range and is easy to use. The stacked knobs are: Volume/Blend; Treble/Bass (pull out for bright); Mid/Mid sweep. Two mini-toggles control active/passive (in case battery dies) and bypass blend (just sets pickups at same volume). The Jretro comes with its own chrome scratchplate and pots, so the original passive VVT harness, pots and plate are included (see pic). I played the passive version locally before I bought the bass and loved it. I’ve just gotten comfortable with the John East preamps and have them in most of my basses. Here’s a link to the Lakland site for all the specs and particulars: http://lakland.com/dj.htm The bass weighs in (bathroom scale) at 9.4lb.

The bass retails for $1,349 and the preamp for $299 (w/o installation). I'll even throw in a decent gig bag and the bass will be packed very well, and insured. I got a package price, but in the interest of moving things along, I’d like to get $1200 shipped within the CONUS.

Attached Files:

2. bassman10096

bassman10096

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

3. bassman10096

bassman10096

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

and a couple more
  4. funkboy5

funkboy5 Dear God please make me funky... Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Bump for a chill bass...

Just picked up 2 of them and I'm impressed. Can't decide if i want to drop in the J-Retro preamp because they sound soooo good in passive mode. If for some reason the J-Retro becomes available separately let me know. Thanks and GL.

Good deal here!!!
  5. bassman10096

bassman10096

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

I like the Retro because it expands the tonal range (without adding any particular voicing of its own) and simplifies matching sound to room characteristics, style, etc.
  6. Dudelike89

Dudelike89

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Very interested. Can I ask what the tone sounds like? I remember picking up a bass in the Mesa boogie Hollywood store and it sounded amazing. If I remember correctly it was a Lakland. The tone it had was super beefy, punchy and tight. Though the videos I find on YouTube are all treble and mids and almost no bass.
  7. bassman10096

bassman10096

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Well, I've owed several Laklands and they all sounded and played good (some of the best necks around). Here's a clip from the Lakland site of one of their other Fender clones using the same pickups as the DJ. I'd say this is very close to the sound I get - of course the preamp adds additional range, but it doesn't kill the original sound in any respect.

http://lakland.com/ac_JO5.htm

Hope that gives you a better idea
  8. funkboy5

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Killer tones, fingerstyle and slap. Beefy, punchy and tight describes it well.
  9. Dudelike89

Dudelike89

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Alright cause I currently play a stingray HH 4 string and like the tone but wouldn't mind some more, which if I remember correctly the Lakland delivered something I didn't even know I was missing until I picked that bass off the wall to test out some cabs. You said a gig bag/case wouldn't be included? How would I go about getting a case for this bass? Sorry if that's a stupid question, never looked into aftermarket bass cases before.

Thanks
  10. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

Nice! I bet the J Retro is killer in there.
  11. funkboy5

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

pmd about how to acquire a killer case for the DJ5
  12. bassman10096

bassman10096

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Lakland makes a gigbag for the DJ and it seems to fit all my other soft bags. I'm sure a call to Lakland in Chicago would get you a line on a Lakland hard case (I have seen them for DJ5s). Otherwise, the online music gear vendors all have a variety of cases - just watch for the right dimensions - I've done that before for other basses. Hope that helps.
  13. Dr_Funkdamental

Dr_Funkdamental

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

Man if I had the loot I'd be on this like white on rice. Got a JO5 with the JRetro and I can only imagine what a DJ sounds with it. Tax time is coming though, hmm lol.

igig bags work great with Laklands by the way. I love mine and I have 3 Laklands that alternate in it.
  14. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

I have virtually the same setup, (except the color is LPB) DJ5 w/ Aeros and a DJ Retro and it's just a wonderfully versatile and modern sounding set-up to my ears. Very alive. And the whole pre EQ is very effective and usable. The bass brings meat and power, mids bring presence and the highs can be as light or over the top as you like. Really one of my favorites to date. Great price and GLWS. Hell, I'd consider buying the DJ pre outright from you for my pear white DJ5. You can put it back to stock, charge a little less and win-win...
  15. datsaxguy

datsaxguy Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0

I have the same bass, with the same preamp. It holds it own with anything out there period bump
  16. bassman10096

bassman10096

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Just one more reason it's killing me to let it go. Somebody please take it so I can begin my recovery from the loss... :bawl:
  17. bassmantimmc

bassmantimmc

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I am interested in purchase. This is the first time I've tried talk bass talk me thru this.
  18. bassman10096

bassman10096

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

I PMd you back and copied the message to the email in your message.
  19. bassman10096

bassman10096

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.