1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

lakland skyline hollowbody, lined ebony fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by e-flores, Sep 19, 2011.

1. e-flores

e-flores

Unique Lakland hollowbody

This one was setup from the factory with and ebony board and has the ever so amazing Chi Sonic pups. It can do true grit old school tone and nice smooth modern upright tone depending on the pickup combo you chose and tone selection you use. There is MMmmmmhhhuuuaaa to be had, :D

It was a gigged instrument, I knew that it would be from the beginning which is why I bought the skyline model and not the USA model. But the fretless ebony is normally only a US model option. There are a few skyline ebony fretless out there with the bart pups but I was told when I bought this from castle music that this was the only skyline ebony fretless with the Chi's.

With that being said, I take care of my gear, even though its gigged, but its a gigged instrument so things are just going to happen. There are stress cracks in the upper and lower horns right where the neck meets the body. They are very discrete and not noticeable from a close distance, and I was told from Lakland that this is a pretty common thing, mostly happens in transport. I will picture them below. There is also a small crack in the ebony of the board I bought it like this and was told that it wouldn't affect anything. It is also pictured below in the picture showing the board wear. Both of these do not affect the playability of the instrument.

Right now it's strung with 45-105 flat Roto's that are pretty much brand new and the last setup was done at the Lakland factory in Chicago.

I am selling because I bought this for a specific project that has since ended so I no longer have a need for it and I could use some extra money. I am not looking for any and zero trades.

I am asking $1,100 shipped to the CONUS I may be willing to ship elsewhere but buyer is going to have to pick up shipping cost.

Thanks for your interest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. e-flores

e-flores

3. e-flores

e-flores

BUMP! Does this thing have the plauge?
  4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

fretless HB???? wow.....very nice....

one correction though....Skylines DO have ebony necks....(I have a Skyline JO fretless)...I am sure the CHIs make it sound wonderful!

good luck on the sale.
  5. macribas

macribas Supporting Member

Hey Doug, I think he was saying that a fretless fingerboard (any wood) on a hollow body was a US option only. This is the first Skyline fretless HB I have seen. If it only had 5 strings...
  6. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

I also owned a Skyline Ebony Lined Fretless HB in TobaccoBurst. While digging for more data on it, I found that the guys at Lakland are aware of some Skyline models having Ebony boards instead of Rosewood boards on the Fretless models. Apparently, there was a trasitional period on the HB models - so, there would be no surprising declarations when they surface for sale. There are some dark Rosewoods out there. Natural woods will have variances of course. Sometimes you may even find that the wood is stained black to make it appear more even in color.

That being said, I feel strongly my HB had an Ebony Lined finger board regardless of what Lakland's website shows as an option. The grain on the board was grey against the black Ebony coloring. Cvery interesting.

These are nice basses and just about as close as you can get to a US Made Bass without buying a US model.

With me owning one and this one on the block, as well as others out there, "unique" is a strong term to use. However they all have different wood grains and play wear characteristics... So, I suppose every bass is "unique" in it's own way. Ha!

Stephen (TheLarch) ended up with mine and later purchased and installed a fretted neck. He later sold the Former Frettless HB as a Fretted unit and listed the original Frettless neck separately here on TB which also sold.

The hairline cracks at the pocket seems to be somewhat common for some reason. I tend to shy away from them even if no wood separation is present. However, to me, if the finish is cracked severely, that's indicative of flexing taking place at some point. Others see this as a form of neck pocket tremelo feature. To each his/her own.

Gorgeous HB bass you have here...

Good luck with the sale. Congrats to the future owner!
  7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

I am with you on the last part!

carl said there would NEVER be a 5 banger HB...too much tension on the bridge for an HB acording to him...they tried a few times.

there are 5-6 fretless Skyline HBs that I am aware of...more rare than other types of Lakie fretless basses for sure!

8. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

Gorgeous wood grain bass bump!
  9. e-flores

e-flores

lets give this guy a nice bump! and macribas no five stringer means this is your best option! :D just sayin.....
  10. ookiedukes

ookiedukes Supporting Member

I have a fretted one. These are really sweet sounding basses, and they look sweet too.
    Bump
  11. e-flores

e-flores

PRICE DROP BUMP!!!
  12. e-flores

e-flores

13. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Possible trade for a LOG 2010 p-bass? Maple neck.
  14. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass Supporting Member

Did you ever sell / trade this guy?
  15. e-flores

e-flores

BUMPAROOSKI!!!
  16. 1dstoner

1dstoner

Wish this was in my price range for a fretless. Awesome
  17. slapmachine

slapmachine

18. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Writer - Bass Musician Magazine
    Been sending you pm's about this bass, no answer. Is it no longer available?
  19. slapmachine

slapmachine

Hey J., I do believe it's still available, I was in the process of working a trade out with him, but I backed out for personal reasons. He had a loss in the family and had been away from the computer for quite some time. I hope you can grab this killer bass!

Bump

Best regards,

Brooks
  20. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Writer - Bass Musician Magazine
    Thanks for the heads up Brooks. I hope all is ok, and I appreciate the info.