Lakland Skyline Hollowbody players, please educate me on pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Dec 18, 2013.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Someone please educate me on the Lakland Hollowbody series... the switch on these is a pickup selector right? Are the Chi Sonics humbuckers or single coils? Some of them have Chi humbuckers with single coil mode right?
    And some of them have Barts? I'm confused. If I were to buy one at Musicians Friend right now, it would be Indonesian with Chi Sonic single coils - or humbuckers?
    If I were to get one of these, I guess I'd prefer Chi humbuckers - or Barts - with a single coil option.

To make things more confusing, Sweetwater (who would presumably offer the same Indonesian Skyline Hollowbody as Musician's Friend) has a description that says this:

"Great looks and performance for any gig
    A mahogany body with carved maple top gives you classic hollowbody f-hole looks and big, beefy tone. The Skyline Hollowbody with exceed your expectations with an extremely comfortable maple neck with rosewood fretboard and Lakland Chi-Sonic pickups. These pickups are high-output humbuckers (switchable to single-coils) with a wide frequency response due to the neodymium magnets. Sonically, the Chi-Sonics boast a warm, rounded bottom with detailed mids and a nice high end - perfect for providing solid low-frequency support that still punches through the mix."

2. TimBosby

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Tim, let me lay out what I know and what I kinda/sorta know.

The HBs originally came with Barts and two switches--one for selecting pickups and one behind the V/T controls for coil switching.

There was also a special run or two where the HBs came with Dark Stars (I have one of these). In this case, the coil-tapping switch winds up being a "dark switch" of sorts that rolls off the highs.

When Lakland developed the Chisonics, they started putting them in the HBs--this would have been in 2008 or so.

Here's where it gets fuzzy. I know the Chi-loaded HBs have come with single coils and humbuckers at different times. I *believe* they came with 'buckers first and still had the coil-tapping switch, and then later Lakland switched to single-coils and removed that coil-tapping switch. Which would make Sweetwater's text outdated--BUT I could easily be wrong about that.

Your best bet for this part is to shoot an email to Leo and/or Brian, they should be able to clear things up.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

That's basically what I recall, also, but I had one from back in the Bart days so I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Chi-Sonics.

The simple rule of thumb would be that the big Gibson-style switch is a pickup selector switch, and all the Hollowbodies have those. If there is a smaller switch, it is for coil splitting.

The specs at http://www.lakland.com/hollowbody.htm seem to indicate that the Hollowbody currently uses splittable Chi-Sonic humbuckers, but the picture does not show a coil-splitter switch.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TimBosby

Thank you for your input, Greg. What you've said seems consistent with what I've found. I love Jazz basses, and have several, but for that reason the 'buckers would be more preferable considering I already have plenty of Jazz basses. But I do like the idea of having a coil tap for Jazz sounds in a hollowbody when needed.

7. TimBosby

Thanks, Mike, I kinda figured that same thing, but then the Sweetwater text through me for a loop and I began wondering if maybe there was a push-pull pot for coil tapping built in or something...

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

That's understandable. Of course, single-coil Chis are a different flavor than your typical passive J pickups, and the hollowbody imparts its own vibe to the tone as well.

Also, having owned a passive Decade with Chi-buckers, I can say that when those pickups are switched into single-coil mode, it yields a different (less ballsier) tone than a single-coil Chi. The Chibuckers sound super-fat and cool, though. Just depends on what you want.

9. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

I just got an indo hobo with single coil Chis.

These are NOT j sounding pickups in the least! They are fairly aggressive IMHO.

I also have a jo5 with single coil chis in it and the HB sounds very very different.

As Greg said the hollowness gives it a tone all its own.

The newest hbs only come with single coil chis and they do have a pickup selector switch.

I bet you could get a US HB with any combo of pickups but I can state they my hobo is right up there on the quality scale with the US basses.

10. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

So do the chi single coils sound anything like the single coil mode ( tapped HB) sound clips on laklands site?

Anyone know where theres clips of the chi single coils?