1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lakland Skyline shopping w/o trying!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mexibass, Mar 27, 2013.

1. mexibass

mexibass

OK Lakland Skyline owners, here's the deal. I'm on the market for a new bass, I'm in southern Mexico and there's no way I can get anything decent here to try ouy first before buying, other than some MIA Fenders and that's it, so I'm buying online a bass and will have it shipped to my brother's house in TX, who will bring it to me in a couple of months.

So, basically, I'm shopping based on reviews and youtube clips, also my intuition and the spec sheet of each bass, so my big question is: what are your experiences with the Lakland Skyline 55-AJ, the 55-02 and the DJ-5?? I'm having a hard time trying to make up my mind with these basses. I know they're different and have different voices, but would love to hear from actual owners what they think about their basses.

I'm looking for a versatile, good-looking, lightweight instrument.
    Don't really care about where they're made as long as they're nicely built and sport american electronics! Thanx a lot for the input fellow low-enders!
  2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Confirm the weight , Laklands come in two sizes 9lbs and under and "who didn't QC these body blanks"
  3. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

I bought a 55-02, a little under two weeks ago now, without ever trying one out or ever even having seen one in person. Within the first few seconds of playing, I was in love. I love it so much that I immediately purchased a second 55-02 and am now selling my Warwick Thumb 5 BO, which was my workhorse for 12 years.
  4. mexibass

mexibass

wow, man, that says a lot bout them, I used to be a warwick thumb guy myself when I was younger but nowadays I think u can get better basses for less money! so, what about the LH3 preamp and the american pup's? how heavy are they??
  5. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Korean Bartolini electronics, so I can't make any comparison. Both of mine are equipped with LH3 electronics. Both also clock-in at 9.5 lbs and are extremely well balanced. I love these things!
  6. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

A maple necked DJ 5 loaded with Fralins was the best 5 string that I ever played under 1500.00. It was only passed on after finally locating my Dingwall Super J5. The Ding is double the goodness at double the price.

That said, I concur with the poster above. Mine wasn't 10 pounds, but wasn't 8 either. Try and get an accurate weight if that matters to you.

I have played a couple of 55-02's briefly. Great feel but I was never impressed enough with the tone to crack open the checkbook. That's not to say that they aren't great basses.

Just do your homework to ensure that the 55-02 is the tone(s) for you.
  7. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

This should give you some comfort: I own three Lakland Skyline basses, one bought used here and two bought used on evilBay, all sight unseen. I love all three, and I've never played any other Lakies.
  8. Musicman20

Musicman20

Be careful...I've had to send a few Laklands back unfortunately.
  9. mexibass

mexibass

Will do, I'm trying to ask every person I can about these basses and looking at every review that's online. I've also been looking into a Super J as well, but right now they're out of my budget for 500 hundred dollars!
  10. mexibass

mexibass

Totally good news!
  11. mexibass

mexibass

I hear you! This is why I'm getting it from a specialized bass store, like basscentral or bass club chicago, instead of musiciansfriend or amazon, in the hope that these guys won't ship a bass without inspecting it. Thanks for the heads-up though!

By the way, I see ur a musicman guy, I'm also considering a Sterling 5 instead of the 55-02, what r ur thoughts on that Sterling?
  12. Holdsg

Holdsg Supporting Member

I'll be in Cozumel in June on a cruise, I'll wave from the ship deck.

I've gone thru about 12 Skylines in my life, plus a few US's, and now I own 2 US's (a P and a JJ). Skylines are very good value for the price, many rival MIA Fenders in quality, but there is some truth to the "hit or miss" on that point. Some people say the Koreans (pre 2008) are better than the Indonesians (after 2008) but YMMV. I've had good ones from both factories. You can find a lot of used Skylines on here if you are patient, which is a good way to get your feet wet without too much investment.

You get a much better overall package with the 55-02 because of the excellent LH-3 preamp. The AJ has a bartolini preamp, which, IMO is not as good as the LH-3, not nearly as versatile or warm sounding. I find the bart pre a bit harsh, not very musical to my ears.

Now if you are looking for an imported passive J bass, you can do a lot worse than a JO or DJ. I prefer the body shape of the DJ and the bnb necks, but not everyone digs those things. Sometimes you can find used Skyline JO's and DJ's that have been modded with aftermarket preamps, those would be more of interest to me than the passive Js. I just can't seem to ever keep passive J's around, they don't do it for me.

Sterling 5s are very good basses as well. I've owned one of those too (a 5HH). I have this disease, you see, its called GAS.
  13. Musicman20

Musicman20

The Sterling 5 is wonderful! Tight, aggressive, great B, Musicman snap, and usually fairly light. 5 HS gets my vote :)
  14. mexibass

mexibass

Yeah. Seriously thinking that I should get the MM instead. At least I haven't heard of issues with this basses and I've already owned three of them, it's just that the Laklands look so appealing!
  15. mexibass

mexibass

Hey, we might be playing at the new Hard Rock Cafe in june, which happens to be right in front of the ship deck!! that is if the place is already open by then, coz right now it's still under construction, if that's the case, come say hi, have a beer and jam with my band and, perhaps, my Lakie!:bassist:

Regarding the quality of the bass, I'll have to trust the sales guys. But yeah, all in all I think the 55-02 is a better option tone wise, and yes, I have an Ibanez SG fretless with those Korean Bartolinis PUP's and pre and they're so noisy, that's why I haven't even considered the 55-01. Now I have to ditch the 55-AJ coz I didn't know it used the Bart preamp.

Now, I just loved the looks on the DJ-5 but I also would rather have an active/passive bass, like a Sadowsky or a Mike Lull, but even if I have the money to get one of these boutique jazz basses, I don't feel comfortable enough to spend 2K or more on an online transaction, that's why I also ditched the Dingwall ABZ, the super J, some Fodera NYC, a Valenti or an M Basses custom made. I gotta keep it safe with a 1500-ish purchase.

Unless u wanna bring with you either ur sadowsky or ur lull and sell it directly to me here :D