Lakland Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Milo, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Fellas,
    Curious as to what everyone has to say about choosing between the Skline DJ 4 or the Lakland 44-64 with the single P pup.
    I like them both but I do not own a Jazz bass yet so I am going with that idea over the P unless someone here can tell me otherwise. The 44-64 in question is the candy apple red with matching headstock.

I know these basses are passive which is ok with me because I don't own a passive as of now....I have the MIM Fender Deluxe PJ right now.

Seems everyone says to have at least one P bass and one J bass.
    The PJ is ok but I would like to be an owner of at least one of the 3 styles so I can see what works for my band......cover band that plays rock that spans the eras from the 70's to today.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c581--4_S...1lbnNpb24iOnsiQnJhbmQiOlsiNDI5NDk2Njc2NCJdfX0
  2. basslyon

basslyon

Disclosures:
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    I think the "you must have a p and j" idea is pretty out dated. I play jazz basses. Full stop. I have friends who play warwicks, p basses, stingrays or whatever. Even playing covers I have my sound and that's it. I change it up a bit but its pretty rare to change basses every song for a different tone. Tonally the mexi p dexule should cover all basses pretty well. The lakland will smash it for playability though. Depends what you like in terms or a neck and body shape.

With that said, the skyline option is a good option. Your fender will likely be relegated to a backup bass, so buy the lakland to be your main sound.
  3. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Save yourself tens of thousands of dollars and don't play anything remotely related to a Jazz. It's a slippery slope and you end up collecting them like Hot Wheels.

On any given day, I can be a P guy or a J guy. I wish I could commit and then stick with one instrument type.

I am weak.

Lakland has a great reputation so you have a win win. The DJ has an almost cult-like following here. Buy at the right price and you will have zero problem reselling. I know nothing of the 44-64.
  4. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Not sure if you noticed, but the 44-64 with the matching headstock has a Jazz-width neck instead of the standard P. I own that exact bass and love it, but if you're used to a thicker neck, you might not like it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I love my Duck Dunn (44-64), but I'm a P Bass guy. If you're looking for a more traditional J Bass in a Lakland, you may want to check out the Joe Osborn, which I believe is now called the 44-60. You can't go wrong with a Lakland.
  7. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

friskinator:
    My Fender PJ has a jazz width neck so I am used to that.

Pet Sounds: I like the 44-60 as well but I REALLY LOVE the look of the rosewood and pearl blocks on the fretboard. Rather shallow I know, but if I'm going to spend over 1K on a bass it may as well look aesthetically pleasing to boot.......
  8. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I hear ya! I dig the rosewood and blocks on my Duck, too. I also like the LPB on the DJ.
  9. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

I prefer the Joe Osborn 44-60 to the Darryl Jones, because the DJ's body is too small for me.

Beware: Once you get used to a sweet Lakland neck, with the flat radius and small frets, you'll find it hard to go back to Fender.
    At least I did.
  10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Oh come on! The answer is clear. Get them both! ;)

I have a 44-64 (Duck Dunn) and it's the best P-bass I've ever had. I can't give you an opinion on the DJ, though. I've never even picked one up. I will say I've loved the neck on every Lakland I've ever played, and I think you'll get a great bass either way.
  11. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

Same here...I had to choose between an American P-Bass and an '07 Korean Duck. After playing both, it was obvious: Lakland Skyline. I'd rather it had a 1-3/4" (or even a 1-5/8") nut width, but it's a great playing and sounding bass, stock. Mine has D'Addario Chromes, and it sounds exactly like a P-Bass should.

There's been some discussion around here about the differences between the older Korean and the newer Indonesian Skylines. I haven't played the Indonesian one, so I can't really discuss that issue.
  12. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Supporting Member

Problem solved.

NEXT!
  13. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

The DJ4 is an awesome bass all around. The best slim designed neck out there hand down !!! The bass feels right, well balanced and the Tone can be punchy to more vintage if one wants it. A truly well designed bass !!! I am very tempted to go after a 44-64 custom bass, they look awesome !!!
  14. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

If I were you, I would wait and see what they Limited Editions for 2013 look like before buying a Skyline right now.
  15. Basstardus

Basstardus

I have them both! :D
    Well not the DJ, but a JO (44-60) and a 44-64 Special Edition, both Skyline
    a jazz with rounds and precision with flats, i got it ALL covered. :D
  16. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Thanks for all the replies fellas!
    Woody G3: I plan on getting them both!!!! But, I have to save my gig money from each show...When I have enough saved then I will get one or the other......

I do have 2 basses I'm going to trade in for part of the money....I know I'm going to get seriously boned without lube on the trade in value ,but the basses I have aren't worth much........a ESP/LTD B404SM and a ESP/LTD B15 5 string.......

Lake Placid Blue is not my first choice for color on the DJ4 but its the best color offered....I would prefer Surf Green or limited edition teal green which is offered on the 44-60.....so, I may get the 44-60 instead of the DJ4.....Decisions! If the 44-60 comes with a matching headstock I may consider that over the DJ4......

StrangerDanger: more than likely I wont be able to buy the bass any time soon....Probably after the new year......Any idea when the 2013's will be released? Possibly in January or later? I will look and see what is coming in 2013 before I make a choice......
  17. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Hey Joe,

Once you realize how beautiful the Lake Placid Blue is on those DJ, you will love them !!! I was not sure either at first and then up close, the paint is just beautiful !

Good choice !
  18. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Turlu: I do like the LPB but really like green more........In person I'm quite sure I'd fall in love with the LPB....Will be some time yet before I can get her but when I do I will post pics for sure!
  19. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

The Skyline DJ4 is beautiful in LPB. I got one last month, my fender is in the closet, haha.
  20. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

from what I hear, the 2013 special editions will NOT be a P or J derivative.....but it WILL be uber cool!
  21. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

sounds like you made a decision!

You will not be dissapointed with either....I have 2 Lakland J basses and 2 Lakland P basses (although 1 is a PJ)....the P basses have been my "go to lately" when we were playing outdoor gigs....to me it just sits GREAT in the mix....

the Teal green is really nice as well...BUT so is the LPB....

There still may be a few teal green 44-64s left with blocks and matching headstock...ask!

you seem to favor the P bass tone now so that would be a GREAT way to get into the Lakie family...then get the DJ later.

they also offer a 4 string DJ in grey and a fiver in pearl white (both of which are GREAT colors in person)

as stated above in a few posts, don't be surprised if your Fender ends up with less and less play...

once you get it, make sure to join the LOG (Lakland owners group) thread and PM me for a number.