lakland usa bob glaub vs. older fender P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the captain, Oct 19, 2002.

?

Which bass would you spend your money on?

1. USA Lakland Bob Glaub

55 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. late 60's / early 70's Fender P bass

28 vote(s)
    33.7%
  1. the captain

the captain

have a 97' usa fender P bass i was thinking of selling off in order to help finance possibly a usa lakland BG or hunting for a late 60's, early 70's fender P. any opinions as to which would have better tone, playability and construction etc.? Also my 97 "P" strings through the body. what year did fender start doing that?
  2. extreme

extreme

I have the utmost respect for Lakland and the basses they turn out. If you just want to buy one bass and be done with it, then get a Glaub. If you want the challenge of finding the "right" Fender then let the search begin!

IMHO, there's nothing as cool as a good old Fender, but the Glaub will be a quicker, more hassle-free option.
  3. Herm

Herm

I was involved with the making of the Bob Glaub bass while employed at Lakland. Bob was very meticulous about the bass before Dan would release it.

Like extreme said, if your going to buy one bass, then get the Glaub. Getting the right "old" Fender might be a bit of a search.
  4. lousybassist

lousybassist

I'm no Fender expert, but I think they started doing that in 95, or maybe 96. Don't qoute me on that though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ChaosGwar

ChaosGwar

I love P basses, but hate vintage basses. I don't know why, but they feel dirty. And this goes for nearly every "vintage" bass I've ever played. I think I'd go with the Lakland, if the price was right. But considering the price on those bad boys, I'd more than likely get a new MIA Fender P.
  7. rickreyn

rickreyn

I am very impressed with my 55-94. With sights set on a P-bass one day, given the cash, I will go for the Glaub. Everything you wanted in a P and then some. BTW, Chris Squire used this bass on a recent tour.
  8. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

Go for the ol fender..alot of the fun is playing all those older p bass' until you find the "one"..its easy to lay down cash and wait..but if you put in the effort it might mean more to you..
  9. Jonathan Starr

Jonathan Starr

I've got a nice CAR USA Bob Glaub, and I like it better than most Precisions I've played, though there are those few rare, old magic ones with the Mojo that are incredible.

The one Darryl Jones is playing with the Stones tour (along with two DJ signature Laklands) sounds pretty darn great.

I haven't used the Glaub for a while, since I play 5 strings now, so if anyine is interested in it, they can email me.

Aloha,

Jonathan Starr
    kalepa@maui.net
  10. petch

petch Supporting Member

I love P basses. But be advised- age alone does not a bass make! I've owned a '69, an '85 MIJ, and a 2001. The 2001, hands down, is the best of the three... :eek:
  11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Disclosures:
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I absolutely LOVE Laklands, but c'mon, we're talking a vintage P!
  12. BASSnSAX

BASSnSAX

Hmmm, I think I'd go with the Fender, but then again the BG sounds pretty darn good tooo....tough call!
  13. tjoTim

tjoTim Supporting Member

I've never owned either one, but I've tried both. The few good 60's P's I've tried have shamed everything that has come before and after. IMHO, the good ones are superior. Finding a good one is not as easy as ordering up a Lakland BG.

For what you might pay for a good vintage P, maybe you should consider a Sadowsky Ultra Vintage. The BG feels good to me, but I prefer the sound of the vintage Fenders and Sadowsky.

Practically speaking though, the BG is a lot less expensive and does seem to nail the feel of the 60's Fenders I've liked best. If not for the Lakland saucer bridge, I would probably have one. Given a lot of money and vintage expertise, I'd go for the Fender and get a Sadowsky for back-up. If I just had a lot of money, I'd go for the Sadowsky.
  14. Steve Whitman

Steve Whitman Supporting Member

Well, I've got one of each (sort of). I've got a '68 P-bass that I've had for almost 29 years (my only bass for 27 years), and I got a Glaub about 6 months ago. In my experience with these two basses, the Glaub beats the Fender hands down. Much better tone, great playability and top notch construction. Admittedly, my P-bass is not "pre-CBS", but its fully vintage. Its tuning gears are starting to slip a bit and the pu seems to be getting weaker. No such problems likely with any Glaub. If you have the time to search through numerous over-hyped vintage P's, then give it a try, but it will take a rare one to beat a stock Glaub, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
    Steve
  15. Dude

Dude

Disclosures:
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Finding "the right" vintage Fender at a reasonable price can be tricky and the Laklands will be excellent; however, I much prefer the vintage Fender 7.25" board radius over the Lakland 10" radius.
  16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

i love the BG pbass!

like the Lakland guys took a concensus of all the great feeling/playing pbasses and stuck 'em in one pbass. IMHO, its the only pbass i'd actually like, giving my more jazzbass predilections.

been waitin' to find that sunburst/maple neck'ed one where i can stick on an anodized pickguard.
  17. scatman

scatman

Anyone who sells their vintage P's better know what they're doing!!!!! I just love vintage P's, especially the 70s. A music shop opened up in my neighborhood recently. In it was a very great sounding, rusty roundwound string '79 P Bass. I didn't buy it (got other priorities), but predicted that it be bought after a week. Guess what? I was sold within a week.

I haven't heard the Glaub sound, but that price tag does turn me away.
  18. marc40a

marc40a

It think The Dude hit it right on the head.

Also, the Glaub is only available in "C" or (custom) "A" width

- no "B" which is my personal fav.

Another big difference is that there's graphite reinforcement bars in the Glaub neck, thus making it even more of an apples/oranges comparison.

I think that an American Series or a 90's era American Standard P would be more of a suitable comparison to a Glaub. The two are a lot more similiar.
  19. geezer316

geezer316

If its a bare knukle fight,go w/ Fender.If not,DONT !:bassist:
  20. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

I sold my 62 RI Jazz to help fund a fodera. From the moment I made the desision I knew Id replace it with a lakland. Thier Great!

AJ
  21. soulbrother

soulbrother

Does the Skyline BG come close to an USA made Fender standard P?*

*(Sorry if this is a bit off topic ):)