Lakland vs. ESP-LTD ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mobiless, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Mobiless

Mobiless

hi guys,
    i've sold my fender jb because i felt that i need 5 string, so i chose lakland 55-01. It's not in stock yet and i've been waiting for bass to arrive for a month or so. But today i started to think about ESP LTD B-206SM. Y'all know it's a 6 string and it's cheap as hell! Before I thought i'll play 5 string for some time (at least 3-4 years) and then maybe a 6 string, but now i'm lost.. What do I do - buy lakland like i planned or buy esp-ltd and upgrade it with new preamp and pickups, because pricewise with upgrades it's the same like lakland. I kinda dig esp's sound too, but at this price it sounds too good to be true...
  2. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

Personally, I think ESP makes really good basses for the price point. But Laklands are a whole 'nother level of quality. If I had the chance to get a Lakland fiver I'd do it
  3. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Supporting Member

Well they're both non USA which means its not the best the bass could be...ESP is still around? How? why? They are complete crap...I don't care what anyone says...I played a bunch in my years and thought...what junk this bass is.....Now Lakland makes great USA basses and makes foreign ones too
    So Lakland it should be...anything over an ESP...
  4. sandwich5027

If you're looking for junk wood, poor build, worse sound then ESP it is.
    If you want better than that...get the Lakland...although anything non USA is not my favorite....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

I personally like some of the stuff ESP has put out through the years (not the pointy metal gimmicky stuff, they're 'normal' shapes)... That being said, this is one of the easiest choices I've ever seen proposed on here... The obvious pick is the Lakland... it will be far superior in every tangible way. If anything, I would go for the Lakland and get the ESP down the road.... As you said, it is at a way lower price point, so it wont take long to get it after the Lakland.
  7. Topspin

Topspin

QUOTE=sandwich5027;15575492]Well they're both non USA which means its not the best the bass could be...ESP is still around? How? why? They are complete crap...I don't care what anyone says...I played a bunch in my years and thought...what junk this bass is.....Now Lakland makes great USA basses and makes foreign ones too
    So Lakland it should be...anything over an ESP...[/QUOTE]
    :rolleyes:
    Just try and play both. All the recent ESP basses I've tried have been excellent quality, rivaling and sometimes surpassing American Fenders. That being said, Lakland has a long-standing reputation for incredible quality control. I think you'll be very pleased with either brand. Just let your ears and hands be the judge.
  8. octopoculator

octopoculator Fake Astronaut Supporting Member

While I haven't played a Lakland (I'm just not interested in Fender style basses anymore) but have experienced high quality basses, I was quite pleasantly surprised at how well my b-206sm was built. I mean it was one bass out of thousands, and I've only played a few LTDs, but for that price it was well worth it. It sounded great too, but again I don't know how it would compare to a Lakland.

I had many reasons for selling mine but it was never about build quality, and if you're considering going for a 6er I couldn't think of a better bass for the price.
  9. sandwich5027

You're dreaming. ..ESP quality...Ha
  10. Topspin

Topspin

I see no point arguing with you. I'll just let you get back to judging instruments by the name on the headstock.
  11. Mobiless

Mobiless

As long as woods in esp are not the worst quality I don't really see why everyone seems to underrate these basses so much. Woods can't be that bad in esp's, right? Changing bridge, pickups and preamp should make it a beast IMHO .. ?
    I love mtd's tone but these basses are a bit pricey and esp sounds like a cool modern bass. I understand that lakland's are just better overall, but they are more like jazz basses on steroids and i don't really know if i want jazz bass tone..

It sucks when you can't try bass and you can choose just by crappy sound samples in youtube..
  12. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

I do believe ESP and Lakland Skylines are built in the same exact factory.
  13. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

I haven't played the Lakland Import basses at all so I don't know what to expect from them but I will tell you this and this is my opinion I was really skeptical about the ESP basses especially the ESP LTD B-206SM, but I had bought a ESP LTD B-206SM and I was totally blown away on how well it played and sounded, I really love this bass, and for the price you can't go wrong, it's definitely a great deal for a beginner wanting to get a good deal on a descent made bass.
    I love the 35 in. scale first off, and then I love the feel of the fingerboard, the frets are perfect, my only complaint is the body is a little heavy but over all the bass is awesome I think for what it is and the price.
  14. richntiff

richntiff

You very clearly have no clue what you are talking about. But feel free to troll about...:p

I've not played a Lakland - US or foreign built, so I can't compare if a Skyline and LTD are similar in build quality. What I can say is the LTD is a very good instrument. I have a B204-BM and the neck is far and away the nicest neck I've ever played. Ash body - a bit heavy, but a very nicely balanced bass that plays extremely well. I barely had any setup to do when I got it - tweaked the truss rod and dropped the bridge saddles just a bit and it's a real player. Every other bassist that I let touch it raves about it. Pups are good quality - about what you would expect at the price point - the 5 piece neck and quality fretwork and hardware are what set this bass apart. If the Skyline and LTD's are made in the same factory - it wouldn't surprise me.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

I have both an ESP LTD and Lakland Skyline basses. The Skylines (55-60 & 55-64) are great and everything you'd imagine in a bass at that price point. The LTD is a fantastic bass as well (mine's actually the fretless 5 B205SM FL) and IME much more than what I expected in a bass at that price point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The question is which one will best serve YOU in YOUR music situation? Only you can answer that. I will say that should you decide on the ESP, give it a try stock before you gut it. You might just be surprised.
  16. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

My first 6 was the LTD sm b206.. It's not alembic but it's a fantastic bass for the money.. Ash body. 5 piece neck, dual truss rods and even the electronics aren't bad. My only gripe was the bridge. And I noticed on the new one's they've upgraded it to thru body. For the price point it's hard to beat. The string spacing is quite a bit more narrow than the Lakland.
  17. mark beem

Yep, the Laklands are 19mm. Not sure what the ESPs are. 17mm? 16.5mm?
  18. Bobster

Bobster

I've owned several Lakland Skyline basses, please feel free to check my profile. My Ltd B-1005 (Korea) is definitely comparable to Laklands made in that plant.

My Surveyor-4 (Indonesia) doesn't have as high quality a finish-out in it's electronics compartment as a Lakland, but is still amazing, especially considering I paid 1/3 the cost of a Lakland for it new.

With their EMG electronics (in both basses) Hipshot hardware (on the B-1005) and quality hardwood bodies they're great instruments at very reasonable prices.

My B-1005 is 17mm.

Bob
  19. mark beem

It is my understanding that the stock electronics in the LTDs are EMG clones.
  20. Bobster

Bobster

Mark,

That depends on the bass. The Surveyor and B-1005 lines are both EMG brand and are labeled EMG.

They also use Seymour Duncans on the BB-4 and Aguiliars on the new RB-100X series.

Bob
  21. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

LOVE the 6 string ESP LTD's. I've got an ESP LTD B206SM and an ESP LTD B336SR. Great basses - can't go wrong with the B206SM.