1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Landing Bass - owner review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Undertaker, Jan 1, 2014.

1. The Undertaker

The Undertaker

I bought a Landing L30T strat-style bass from Jimmy Wilson at Landing Guitars about 2 and a half years ago. It has a 30.5" maple neck with rosewood fretboard, 2 Bardon J-style pickups, passive electronics, gold hardware, hipshot bridge and tuning pegs. It is finished in a green w/black fade border, has a matching headstock, and I use La Bella Heavy-Talking flat-wounds.
    It's taken me awhile to get the bass set to where I want it, but it's finally become a sweet little gal. It's fast and easy to play.
    Jimmy was delayed in filling my order and didn't communicate as often as I would have liked along the way. I got the bass about 6 weeks later than originally promised. It arrived with very close action and a buzz on the A string at the 13th and 14th frets. Ultimately, I had to have the frets filed and quite a lengthy set-up to get the neck working well. Even though it didn't have active electronics, I paid full price for it. (I should have negotiated it down.) The total cost was $1760.00, not including shipping. Was it a good bargain? Not really sure.
  2. The Undertaker

The Undertaker

Anyway, folks, let me know about your Landing and how your experience was in ordering it and buying it. I'm seriously considering ordering another one, but I don't want to do it, if Jimmy is always so hard to communicate with and late in delivering the product. Can't wait to hear from you!
  3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

That sucks that you've had some trouble. I've considered a Landing bass, and almost bought one, but now I'm glad of glad I ordered a bass from Scott Beckwith (Birdsong) instead. The Landing site just strikes me as a little sketchy anyway. There really seems to be a lack of reviews for this company. There is a small amount on Talkbass, and then the testimonials on the Landing site, and that's about it. For $1760, poor fretwork and setup are inexcusable, period. As for the 6 weeks later than promised, at the very LEAST the shipping should have been free/refunded.
  4. JayDA

JayDA

You won't have to deal with ANY of that stuff from Scott at Birdsong. Perfect setup and fretwork on all 3 of my Birdsongs. Those Landings always look cheesey to me, but I guess everyone has different tastes.
  5. The Undertaker

The Undertaker

I've seen those Birdsong basses and they look really beautiful. Glad to hear that Scott is on the level, and a good luthier. I'll check them out for my next bass. It's great to see more short scales coming on the market!
  6. mtsens1

mtsens1 Merle Supporting Member

My experience has been very different. I'm having a L30T built, and settled on all the options early december. Since then I count 36 email exchanges with Jimmy, and 14 pictures of the bass as she's being built. So I'd say communications is great. I already have 2 of his basses with no problems. Setup just perfect for me.