1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lane poor and bartolini preamp distortion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JJJ, Jan 23, 2014.

1. JJJ

JJJ

I have a Lane Poor and Bartolini on my Flea bass which I bought in early January.
    When I was test driving it I used the previous owners cheap combo and it was great. When I got home and plugged into my GK 200MB (from ~1985) I got distortion at low volumes.

From this I found that my speaker was disintegrating and had it changed. I plugged in the bass again and I still get the distortion whilst other basses (stingray and a passive P bass) do not give any distortion.

So, I have established that the amp is ok with other basses with a lower output and the flea bass is ok plugged into other combos and even a tiny Marshall guitar practice amp.

I have done a bit of web research and found that the Bartolini preamp NTBT has a trim pot to adjust gain.

Has anyone experienced distortion with a Bartolini even at low low volumes and does anyone think that adjusting the trim pot will stop this distortion?

Is it possible that the gain on the guitar is too much for the amp? I assumed that any guitar would go with any amp.

Hoping that somewhere out there can help

All the best

JJJ

2. JJJ

JJJ

3. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Have you tried replacing the battery?

4. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Or the bass should be connected to the low input. Since it probably is an active bass?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

This. Also try in on a different amp.

7. JJJ

JJJ

Thanks all,
    Battery fine
    Only one input on GK 200mb
    No problem on a cheap bass combo in the shop or a 10w guitar amp.

Trying to get hold of Bartolini but their contact us section not working at the moment.

Tempting to get a new amp though!

Has anyone twiddled with the trim pot on their NTBT preamp?

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

So it's fine on two other amps and only does it on the GK amp? Bass is not the problem.

You can turn the trim pot down though to see if that helps. Sounds like the amp can't handle an active signal though.

9. JJJ

JJJ

I thought that perhaps the output of the bass was too much for the amp but I had never come across that situation before.

Need to think what to do.

10. grendle

grendle

Try this,

Turn the volume full up on the bass , plug in and turn the amp pre amp volume way down (1-2? With the EQ flat) is the distortion still there? If so it more than likely its the bass pre amp distorting.

If no distortion, turn the pre amp up on the amp and see where it distorts. If you get distortion there your over loading the amps pre amp. Most likely.

The fix if your distorting the amps pre amp: turn everything on the bass up full, turn your preamp on the amp up to where you usually have other active basses at. Adjust the trim pot on the bass preamp down until the signal either doesn't distort or it distorts as much or as little as you like.

If the bass's pre is distorting, usually a fresh battery and or pickup height adjustment will get rid of it. If not theres something going on with the bass pre (usually)

Give that a shot

11. JJJ

JJJ

Thanks I'll give that a go as well.
    JJJ

12. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Good tips for you. I was thinking you are clipping the preamp too. Start with the onboard EQ flat.

13. JJJ

JJJ

I have fiddled and twiddled and turned the trim pot down and all seems to be working. Thanks for all the advice.

JJJ