LANE POOR M 3.5 w wiring problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nopalfunk, Dec 23, 2013.

1. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Does anyone knows how must I wire a LANE POOR M3.5 w pickup to an Aguilar OBP2 (treble/bass/volume)?

My pickup have 3 wires...where should I put them?

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387784163.229098.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387784175.473741.jpg
  2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

The coils are usually red (positive) and black or sometimes clear (negative).

Most Lane Poor pickups have a shield (bare wire) which is separate from the coils. Since your pre-amp doesn't require separate connections for negative and shield (like an Audere Z-mode pre-amp) you can safely solder the bare wire to the black wire, and then connect both to your bass's ground. (Star grounding systems are a good idea.)

Next, connect the red wire on the pickup to the volume pot, which is connected to the OBP2 with a blue wire.
  3. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Thanks!!!

when you mention, solder the black and bare wire to the bass's ground are you referring to solder them to the lug that already have the ground wire on the volume pot? can i just add these new two wires on it?

And the red one in the free lug of the volume pot right?
  4. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

And sorry, what is a Star grounding systems?
  5. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

I have found a interesting thread about it http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/got-damn-buzz-please-help-944160/index2.html

However it's not clear enough for me, but according with that info, should I connect all grounds to the same point right? So, after make a bridge from the ground's lug to the top of the volume pot I can connect the black and bare wire right there.... Or I need a capacitor to make a bridge from the lug to the top of the pot?
  6. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

7. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Ready, was quite easy after all, thanks for your help...
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387841779.686920.jpg
  8. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Sorry for the late reply. All the grounds eventually need to connect together. I usually recommend a star grounding approach whereby a loop of wire (or an old washer) is the center point, and all the other ground connections (tone cap, backs of pots, pre-amps, pickups, etc.) connect to that point.
  9. line6man

line6man

Star grounding is unnecessary in basses. There is only one ground, so ground loops are not a concern.
  10. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

+1